Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Hey All,
I am trying to figure out a way to have fast charging shoe using CarPlay. My cars built in USB port charges super slowly and I use Waze on my iPhone instead of Apple maps on CarPlay. Waze uses a ton of power so my phone discharges while using CarPlay.
I stopped using CarPlay because I want my phone to charge while navigating and so I know if cops are ahead on Waze whenever I drive.
I am looking to a way to use my car charger with the cars USB port for CarPlay together so I can fast charge while using CarPlay.
I looked for lightning splitters on amazon. Most don't work or don't support charge and data. They all support charge and audio. I would like an MFi certified solution for this.
Thanks!

Reactions: Aerdon

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Do you know if CarPlay works if you use a Lightning to 30-pin adapter and a 30-pin to USB cable?

If it does, then that could open up a lot more options for you in terms of splitting the data and power element.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
My cars built in USB port charges super slowly and I use Waze on my iPhone instead of Apple maps on CarPlay. Waze uses a ton of power so my phone discharges while using CarPlay.
I stopped using CarPlay because I want my phone to charge while navigating and so I know if cops are ahead on Waze whenever I drive.

If you drive slower, does Waze use less power?

Aerdon

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
New to CarPlay as of this month and am looking for a similar solution. Did you end up finding anything?

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
You may have to upgrade your stereo. I have the Sony AXV-AX3000 and while it's not true fast charging (I think it's 1.5A and fast charge is 2.4), it charges fast enough to give me between 5 and 10% every hour while using Waze and streaming music.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I can't answer the question directly because I do not know. At least not exactly the answer you are looking for.

However somethings to know.

USB standard is 5 volts. Using Apple specs the best you'll get if the charger supports the standard is 5 volts @ 2.4 amp. Volts x Amps = wattage. 5 volt x 2.4 amp = 12 watt.

Fast charge as a technology found in the iPhone 8 and later is delivering >5 volt until the device is ~80% charged before reverting back to 5 volt. The drop back to 5 volt is to protect the battery.

The 18w Apple charger for example uses 9 volts @ 2 amps = 18 watt. Unless they make a way to get that higher voltage with CarPlay (or an adaptor) you'll never get "Fast Charge".

What may help you is to evaluate the cable you are using if you haven't already. You want a high quality MFi cable that is only as long as you need it to be. The port may also need to be cleaned in the iPhone. Anything that increases electrical resistance will increase charging time, and at 5volt that is usually a significant amount of time.

You are either not getting full power from the USB (because that means your phone is using >10-12 wh). OR your battery is shot and its internal resistance is preventing a full charge and from charging at a normal rate. If its the latter then better chargers won't do much, its the phone. You can check you batteries health in settings > battery > battery health.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
cynic’s idea of trying a better cable is definitely a good idea.

But I would be surprised if the USB port that came with your car supports Fast-charging. I believe it has to be the newer USB standard USB-C type of USB port to support Fast charging,

But a newer cable may charge your phone faster than your current cable if it’s been damaged somehow.

Tanveer_m

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
Hey all, maybe this idea can work for us?

My take on this would be to add a 2 Male to 1 female USB Extention in this.

What these allow you to do is add more power to something like say a CD drive.
Generally, you take the data side and plug into a computer and then the second one into another USB port or a wall adapter. allowing for more power to distribute to the device without interrupting the computer.

In our situation, you can take one male connector (DATA) and plug it into the Carplay head unit of your car.
The second one (POWER) will be connected to a secondary power adapter (with the wire provided below, it's listed red as the tubing to indicate POWER). A cigarette lighter to USB with 2.4 amps would be perfect for this and its generally $10-$15 on amazon, they can also provide very fast speeds for charging. Then the last step is to connect the USB to lightning cable from the female end on our wiring to the iPhone.

I am not too sure if this will work for you guys, I think I will try it soon and let you all know:).

Below are some links to the adapter and the wires

USB Adapter:

Thanks All.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Nothing has changed about existing wired Carplay units. My best suggestion would be to see if the wireless Carplay adapters work for you and then use a USB C PD charger and cable that support fast charging.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Nothing has changed about existing wired Carplay units. My best suggestion would be to see if the wireless Carplay adapters work for you and then use a USB C PD charger and cable that support fast charging.

What stinks is that my car has it built in. Hyundai Sonata 2015. Can’t just change the head unit to a wireless CarPlay receiver.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
What stinks is that my car has it built in. Hyundai Sonata 2015. Can’t just change the head unit to a wireless CarPlay receiver.
you can change the built in to wireless.
there are now wireless adapters that plug into the USB port. check the top of this section of the forum. it's got 2,000 posts, so you'll have to dig though.
CarPlay adapter to convert to wireless CarPlay?

Have you tried a USB hub with external power, You'll have to power that off the cigarette lighter though,

Otto Pilot

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2016
This is the reason I get the adapter in the first place. It does exactly what I wanted it to do. Fast charging AND carplay

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Now it’s 2020, no solution to this?

You need to buy a new phone.

I use CarPlay and both Google Maps and Waze simultaneously in my car which is a) connected wirelessly and b) sits on a charging pad and I don’t lose any battery life, my phone charges enough so that I gain a bit at the end of a trip.

It’s not Waze or your car that’s the problem. It’s your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.