Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JEuro2285

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
Can anyone recommend a good fast charger on Amazon for 10th Gen iPad? Not sure what wattage I should look for

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Apple recommends using a 30w charger for your model but you can use higher ones and be fine. I would just stick with Apple chargers so you know the power is being regulated appropriately if you do decide to use a higher wattage model.

JEuro2285

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
Also, how much of a difference is 30W compared to the original 20W that is given w the iPad 10th Gen? Is it worth upgrading?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Also, how much of a difference is 30W compared to the original 20W that is given w the iPad 10th Gen? Is it worth upgrading?
its not worth upgrading as the higher wattage is only supported in the first period. the higher the battery level less wattage is drawn.

i recommend Anker chargers. cheaper than Apple, smaller, with higher output

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
The iPad can only draw more than the 20W when it's below 60% charge or so. Then it can draw around 25-29W if I remember correctly. A faster charger will help to get it back up to 50% a couple minutes quicker.

But it has another more significant advantage: If you want to keep using the iPad whilst charging it also helps with the charge time since it can both power the hardware and keep charging the battery at or near full speed. Which the 20W adapter can't do at all. You're looking at 4 hours or so if you use the iPad whilst charging, and that is way too long in my opinion.

I fast charge my iPads because the total charge time of at least 3 hours, more when in use, it's way too long. I have a tiny Anker 60W charger that can supply as much as the iPad can possibly draw, although I am not sure if it can draw more than 30W at all.

It still charges rather fast when the battery is near empty and I am running intense workloads with full brightness (though the iPad gets really, really warm, almost hot). My total charging time ends up at around 1-1.5 hours. I don't charge to the full 100%, these last few steps always take long so I take it off the charger at around 85% and don't bother with the rest.

Reactions: JEuro2285

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I use a RAVPower 90W 2-port charger. Capable of charging all my devices (laptop 90W, iPad Pro 12.9 40W, iPad Pro 11 30W, iPad Air & mini 20W) at full speed.

Iirc, it only cost ~$40 so same price as Apple's 30W adapter.

JEuro2285

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
So I ended up getting this charger ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQLHGLG4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details )

I checked 1 hour into it and it charged from 6% to 68%. Half hour later I check to see where it was and i noticed in the battery section in settings, it said something like "temporarily stopped charging due to heat", lol. I also purchased the 100w cable by Anker to go with it too. I don't want to ruin the battery so I think I'll just charge with the included 20W charger from now on

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
That is a good charger. iPads can get really hot: My M1 iPad turns into a toaster when I use it for anything (sidecar, for example) whilst charging especially in the summer heat. I don't think it's a problem, that's just what happens when you have all these high-tech electronics in such a thin tiny tablet housing with no cooling.

JEuro2285

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
That is a good charger. iPads can get really hot: My M1 iPad turns into a toaster when I use it for anything (sidecar, for example) whilst charging especially in the summer heat. I don't think it's a problem, that's just what happens when you have all these high-tech electronics in such a thin tiny tablet housing with no cooling.
yeah it is a great charger!
i think i'll maybe just use it the first hour and then switch to the OG charger it came with. how much does the OG charger charge from 5% in 60min would u say? i haven't used it yet, just got my iPad last wk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.