Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino_Axl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Hi guys, new member here :)

I have new MacBook Air that has 30W charger that is required for iPhone to fast charge (if you have a USB-C to Lightning cable) I don't have the required cable but I do have official Apple USB-C to USB dongle. If I plug the USB-C to USB dongle to the charger and plug the regular iPhone cable to the converter will it fast charge the device?

I did tried it and it did start charging the iPhone (my battery is on 90% so I can't test the fast charge function) does the iPhone have any sort of indication/notification when it?s fast charging or there is no difference whatsoever?

Thank you bunch for helping me out with this :)

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Hi guys, new member here :)

I have new MacBook Air that has 30W charger that is required for iPhone to fast charge (if you have a USB-C to Lightning cable) I don't have the required cable but I do have official Apple USB-C to USB dongle. If I plug the USB-C to USB dongle to the charger and plug the regular iPhone cable to the converter will it fast charge the device?

I did tried it and it did start charging the iPhone (my battery is on 90% so I can't test the fast charge function) does the iPhone have any sort of indication/notification when it?s fast charging or there is no difference whatsoever?

Thank you bunch for helping me out with this :)

It won’t. You need the cable.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Apple blocked charging current information that used to be available in all previous iOS versions starting in iOS 10. The only reason I can guess is because they want to be asses. Zero reason to remove it.

So no, now you can't see how much current is going into your battery because Apple doesn't want you to know. But if you're running an iPhone on iOS 9, you can easily see the charge rate.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Dino_Axl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
It won’t. You need the cable.

Thanks, really disappointed though... well seems I will need to buy a USB-C to lightning cable
[doublepost=1542560495][/doublepost]
Apple blocked charging current information that used to be available in all previous iOS versions starting in iOS 10. The only reason I can guess is because they want to be asses. Zero reason to remove it.

So no, now you can't see how much current is going into your battery because Apple doesn't want you to know. But if you're running an iPhone on iOS 9, you can easily see the charge rate.

Bummer, I don’t have any device running iOS 9 but thanks for the info.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks, really disappointed though... well seems I will need to buy a USB-C to lightning cable
[doublepost=1542560495][/doublepost]

Bummer, I don’t have any device running iOS 9 but thanks for the info.
If any consolation it’ll still be faster than 5W brick.

Dino_Axl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Heard some troubling things about X really heating up while fast charging albeit untethered... at this point charge my XR every two days which is first for me and any iPhone I owned and I charge it overnight.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Heard some troubling things about X really heating up while fast charging albeit untethered... at this point charge my XR every two days which is first for me and any iPhone I owned and I charge it overnight.
If you increase the charging input the natural result is increased heat generated regardless what phone.. X is no different than other glass body iPhones.. Aluminum cased phones like the 8/8+ dissipate heat much better because the entire case is a heat synch.. A case will also effect the amount of heat that is felt due to the fact that it doesn’t allow the heat to dissipate...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.