Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
I'm guessing the answer is no, but figured I would ask to make sure. I've reviewed the Apple document ton how to get fast charging on watch Series 7 (and later) and you need the 20W Charger, plus the usb-c charging cord. I have that at my desk & it works great, but is there a way to get fast charging using any other charger?

I much prefer a charging stand by my bed, as the cord itself easily moves around & when it's dark, it's sometimes hard to find. I currently have a charging disk (not sure what it's called & it doesn't seem like apple sells it any longer. Googling every combination I can think of this morning doens't seem to bring up that model) that is made by apple, it packs flat, is white leather & has a little pop up thing in the center. You plug a lighting cord into the back of it & you can charge your watch on it. Ideally I'd like to use that (or something similar-small & compact is great for when I travel), but be able to get the fast charging.

Anyone know if this is possible, or is is the official charging cable only.

Thanks in advance,

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
Nope that’s not possible since it’s an older model charger. I use that one too on my nightstand, simply because it looks really nice and I can live with the longer charging time

Reactions: mk313

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Nope that’s not possible since it’s an older model charger. I use that one too on my nightstand, simply because it looks really nice and I can live with the longer charging time
Thanks! Appreciate the confirmation.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023

mk313,​

the Apple MagSafe Duo charger is great.
regarding its fast charging limitations, pls see the PC Mag article.
Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
There are lots of options to put the Apple charging puck into a fixture. Heck, I 3D printed this one for my sister a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpeg
    IMG_2283.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 26

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012

mk313,​

the Apple MagSafe Duo charger is great. but fast charging, no

View attachment 2350770
Thanks! I suspected that, but held out hope, as they list it as a fast charging solution, but that only seems to refer to the phones. Appreciate the confirmation.

Reactions: arc of the universe

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
There are lots of options to put the Apple charging puck into a fixture. Heck, I 3D printed this one for my sister a couple of years ago.
Thanks. I never really thought of that, but that would solve my problem. I;'ll have to search around for one. Appreciate the comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.