Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Murray M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Gonna buy today.

I need to run 1080P videos. 2GB or 4GB ram?

Murray M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Sluggish doesn't matter to me since I won't be using it as a computer as much as a video player. Would you still say 4 GB or will 2 GB be fine?

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
2GB is sufficient. it's mostly your CPU that will limit video playback and GPU (if hardware acceleration is utilized by your media playback software). and unless the video is encoded beyond the hdd's read/write limit, the hdd should have no problem either.

note that the iPad only has 256mb of ram, yet can play 720p h.264 videos.

Murray M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
2GB is sufficient. it's mostly your CPU that will limit video playback and GPU (if hardware acceleration is utilized by your media playback software). and unless the video is encoded beyond the hdd's read/write limit, the hdd should have no problem either.

note that the iPad only has 256mb of ram, yet can play 720p h.264 videos.

smart

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
If anyone is considering upgrading their new Mac Mini, I would strongly recommend bypassing Apple and doing it yourself.

OWC has 4GB sticks for $127. Sure its a little more than Apple, but its a single stick instead of 2x2GB. When RAM drops in price you would be able to just add 4GB more to max it out at 8GB, where with the 2x2GB sticks you would have to throw both of them to the side in order to go to 8GB.

In the meantime you can run the Mac Mini with 1x1GB and 1x4GB for 5GB total. It works fine and benchmarks have proven that there is no performance hit when running sticks of different sizes. There is a better test somewhere showing a 5GB test that was a performance boost over the matched (2x2GB) test.

If you are going to want 4GB today, you might as well think about the future and how easy it is to access memory in these new Minis, and get the 1x4GB stick now, so that you can cost effectively go to 8GB when you feel like it.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
If anyone is considering upgrading their new Mac Mini, I would strongly recommend bypassing Apple and doing it yourself.

OWC has 4GB sticks for $127. Sure its a little more than Apple, but its a single stick instead of 2x2GB. When RAM drops in price you would be able to just add 4GB more to max it out at 8GB, where with the 2x2GB sticks you would have to throw both of them to the side in order to go to 8GB.

In the meantime you can run the Mac Mini with 1x1GB and 1x4GB for 5GB total. It works fine and benchmarks have proven that there is no performance hit when running sticks of different sizes. There is a better test somewhere showing a 5GB test that was a performance boost over the matched (2x2GB) test.

If you are going to want 4GB today, you might as well think about the future and how easy it is to access memory in these new Minis, and get the 1x4GB stick now, so that you can cost effectively go to 8GB when you feel like it.

Very good point! :)

Bet it's a lot more than $127 this side of the pond though :(....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.