Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fritzintn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Is there a way to enable iChat to stay connected when switching users via the 'fast user switching'?

When I go from one user to another it disconnects iChat. This coupled with the fact the computer auto sleeps (disconnecting iChat and downloads) are really my only complaints after 'switching' over to my new mac.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Yeah, that is pretty annoying. I don't see the point of the fast user switching if it signs you off. I could have just quitted iChat like I would have had to in order to logout under 10.2. It also won't let you run iTunes on more than one account, which is really bothering me too. I mean, c'mon, whats the point of fast user switching. Windows XP isn't crippled like that.

About the sleep issue, you can go to the Energy Saver preference pane in System Preferences and set "Sleep" to never. Than way the computer will always stay on.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Speaking of iTunes, its annoying as hell if someone is playing music, you fast user switch, and its still playing and there is nothing you can do... blah.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
It would make sense for iChat to set your status to "away" when you switch to another user. I tried playing a radio station and iTunes stops when I switch users. What are you doing to that it keeps playing?

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
It would make sense for iChat to set your status to "away" when you switch to another user. I tried playing a radio station and iTunes stops when I switch users. What are you doing to that it keeps playing?

Play MP3s - only net streaming is affected by switching. I'm sure Apple will give us an option with iChat soon. Also, I love that iTunes keeps playing - I might let a friend use a guest account to check their hotmail account and it doesn't interrupt my mood music.

Dan

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
My iTunes automatically pauses when I switch accounts, even when playing MP3's. Looks like there are still some bugs to be worked out in fast user switching....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.