Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Hi, when you activate fast user switching, it gives you a little note that says you should only activate this if you "trust" the other users on your computer, but it doesn't say why. Well since you need passwords to return to your own user profile, what can the other users do that requires your trust? Is there some security hole that I should know about?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: Fast User Switching and "trust"

Originally posted by yadmonkey
Hi, when you activate fast user switching, it gives you a little note that says you should only activate this if you "trust" the other users on your computer, but it doesn't say why. Well since you need passwords to return to your own user profile, what can the other users do that requires your trust? Is there some security hole that I should know about?

I don't need the passwords to go back between the accounts, so I think that's where the trust comes in. Also, if the other person has an administrator password, he can shut down the computer while your work may be left in the other account.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
ahhh.. thanks, Wes. So I guess since I am the only admin on this computer and require passwords for user switching, it is pretty failsafe.

iDean

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2003
England
Presumably, someone on a switched account without administrative rights could crash the system whilst you are AFK, albeit by accident. Again, possible loss of work.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
I think there are also certain apps that can't run on multiple accounts at the same time. At least when I tried it, I couldn't have iTunes running on more than one account. Can someone verify this, or was I doing something wrong?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by LimeLite
I think there are also certain apps that can't run on multiple accounts at the same time. At least when I tried it, I couldn't have iTunes running on more than one account. Can someone verify this, or was I doing something wrong?

That is true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.