Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eslyjah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2002
I am using a free AOL account while I wait for broadband to become available in my apartment complex. I set up fast user switching for me and my wife, but whenever we switch between them, the modem connection gets dropped. Are any of the rest of you stone-agers experiencing this? Have you found any work-arounds?

Thanks,

E

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Are you using the AOL program to dial? Or just Internet Connect within Mac Os X, if you are using the latter, go to System Preferences, Network, choose your connection, go to PPP, PPP options, and I think your option to 'Disconnect when user logs out' is ticked, try un-ticking it.

Eslyjah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2002
Works

Thanks, Wes, for the quick reply. I AM using the AOL program to dial, but I tried your suggestion anyway, and I am pleased to report that it works! AOL uses the modem settings in System Preferences as long as you tell AOL to use v92 instead of v90.

Great catch!

E

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: Works

Originally posted by Eslyjah
Thanks, Wes, for the quick reply. I AM using the AOL program to dial, but I tried your suggestion anyway, and I am pleased to report that it works! AOL uses the modem settings in System Preferences as long as you tell AOL to use v92 instead of v90.

Great catch!

E

I'll remember that, I've never used AOL, but I knew that option from enabling it on my Dsl.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Originally posted by slowtreme
iChat and other "status aware" programs seem to get logged off when switching users too.

Hopefully there will be a way to work around this in the future. Does iChat stay logged in while on dialup??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.