Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonmahar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
NB Canada
Hi Everyone,
Just installed panther and enabled the fast user switching and it doesn't animate between users?
This sucks
Please help
Trying to show off panther 2 the windowz users here!

Thanks
Jason

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
what type of mac are you running it on? older? then the video card may not be able to support it....

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
What Mac do you have? If the video card doesn't fully support Quartz Extreme then I don't think it will work.

edit: we both posted the same thing at the same time PlaceofDis :p

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Fast user switching only animates if you use one screen and(or?) if your video card has enough RAM to do the animation smoothly with the resolution you're running.

If you are using just one screen, try to reduce the screen resolution. If you're on an old Mac, it won't work no matter what.

jasonmahar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
NB Canada
What i'm running

Hi Everyone ok this is what i'm running
Powermac G4 400MHZ 256mb of ram

should it work on this machine?

Thanks for the fast responses

J

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It's not the RAM, it's the video card.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=152366

To find out if your computer supports Quartz Extreme, set your computer to change the background picture every 5 seconds. If each new background immediately replaces the last, then your computer doesn't support Quartz Extreme. If each background fades into the next, then your computer supports Quartz Extreme.

If you don't see the cube effect when FUS, then 99.999999% likely your video card doesn't support Quartz Extreme.

wangahrah

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2001
I'm fairly certain (not positive) that if the users have different screen resolutions set, instead of seeing the turning cube eye candy, the screen will take that opportunity to switch resolutions, and you won't see the effects. Thats what seems to happen with one of the machines I use.

wangahrah

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
superfunkomatic said:
i've got the same machine. it doesn't support quartz which means no cutesy user switching. not sure if there is a workaround with newer graphics cards.
That's the stock card from the Cube too. It doesn't support Quartz Extreme but it supports normal Quartz just fine. The quartz extreme is set up to degrade very gracefully on older graphics cards, so if you get a card that supports extreme, then you'll automatically get the extreme effects, no setup needed.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
wangahrah said:
I'm fairly certain (not positive) that if the users have different screen resolutions set, instead of seeing the turning cube eye candy, the screen will take that opportunity to switch resolutions, and you won't see the effects.
That is correct. I had my user account set to 1600x1200 and my son had his at 1344x1008. No turning cube. Changed him to 1600x1200 and the eye candy came back :p

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
If you are switching to someone who has a process consuming CPU cycles, the animation might not activate. As well as differing screen resolutions and color depths, as well as a non-quartz video card.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
If you dont get the cube, then chances are you may not want to try and show the Windows users the other eye candy in mac osx!

"And here, we have an animatio- nevermind... moving on..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.