Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cruzn15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
Now that Spotlight replaced where Fast User Switching was (which makes sense that something useful occupies that space), how is FUS handled? Is it under the Apple menu now?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Interesting question. Wish I had a copy of Tiger in order to answer it. Very interested in finding out as I use FUS a lot.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
it's just bodged to the side, for some reason it was disabled when i first installed panther but i turned it back on and it's on now

Attachments

• Picture 4.pdf
    5.4 KB · Views: 330

webmatthijs

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
United Kingdom
good quaestion

Cruzn15 said:
Now that Spotlight replaced where Fast User Switching was (which makes sense that something useful occupies that space), how is FUS handled? Is it under the Apple menu now?

real good question! i have been wondering that from the start. i have a friend who might be able to awnser that, wait a few hours and the awnser is right in front of you on your screen.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
webmatthijs said:
real good question! i have been wondering that from the start. i have a friend who might be able to awnser that, wait a few hours and the awnser is right in front of you on your screen.

Here it is.
Not really surprising: It is right next to Spotlight. Take a look:

Attachments

• Tiger MultiUser.jpg
    Tiger MultiUser.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 265

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
well i gave you the awnser did you just choose to ignore it or what?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Hector said:
well i gave you the awnser did you just choose to ignore it or what?

Got distracted by the latter replies.... Didn't spot your pic. Sorry, m8.

Probably 'cause PDF's don't get a preview (thumbnail) that it didn't catch my eye while overviewing this thread.

Oh well... see it as a confirmation :D

Cruzn15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
theadz01 said:
if you hold down the apple key you can move the FUS thing to other place on the toolbar if you like
Wow! I never knew that. I guess you learn something new everyday. I like where it is now, and I think how it is in Tiger is probably the best way as well, but that tip is really useful.

The menu bar is starting to get a little crowded. At least with Spotlight, I'll be able to get rid of TigerLaunch from my bar. And with Dashboard, I'll probably be able to get rid of Pod2Go Menu, AirPort Monitor, Battery Meter and even Character Palette when the widgets are made, so it won't be so bad.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
HA! My FUS got moved over a couple of spaces, and I had no clue on how. I must have done this by mistake.
theadz01 said:
if you hold down the apple key you can move the FUS thing to other place on the toolbar if you like

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
theadz01 said:

Wow! Thanks -- I never knew you could do this either. I have too many icons on my taskbar for my taste. The time, battery, AE, BT, and modem. The last one got added in cuz I use my cell as a BT modem.... It used to be right-most, and so it would often disappear underneath broad app menus, so this is really handy. Now I just have to get used to it looking different and figure out the way that most harmoniously marries feng shui and utility. ;)

EDIT: It'd be nice if there were some way to combine the AE/BT/Modem widgets into one widget, that contextually made the appropriate faces at me, and had all the stuff in the menu. Since they don't get that heavily used at the same time (BT sync or mouse + AE, but that's about it)....

theadz01

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2004
London
you can move all the apple icons in the toolbar about holding down the apple key, or drag them out the toolbar to make them disapear! :)

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
MacsRgr8 said:
Probably 'cause PDF's don't get a preview (thumbnail) that it didn't catch my eye while overviewing this thread.

yeah, i didn't see it either, what's up with people posting PDFs? :confused: i didnt' even bother to open the attachment because it didn't have a preview. is it that hard to post JPEGs?

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
cb911 said:
yeah, i didn't see it either, what's up with people posting PDFs? :confused: i didnt' even bother to open the attachment because it didn't have a preview. is it that hard to post JPEGs?

Because people are lazy.

In Panther Apple+shift+3 takes a .tiff picture. You can't upload .tiff pics to macrumors.

But in Tiger Apple+sift+3 takes a .pdf, and macrumors can take .pdf...

just expect to see more of it... ;)

Attachments

• blah.jpg
    blah.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 141

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
musicpyrite said:
Because people are lazy.

In Panther Apple+shift+3 takes a .tiff picture. You can't upload .tiff pics to macrumors.

juse expect to see more of it... ;)
I agree there...I can be accused of being lazy too when it comes to posting screenshots generated by a Mac (I usually post PDFs).

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
musicpyrite said:
Because people are lazy.

just expect to see more of it... ;)

I have panther and it creates .pdf :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.