Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Apple said the keyboard in iOS 12 is faster than iOS 11 keyboard.

Did anyone notice a difference? Is there any video comparing both?

Until now, I’ve only seen videos showing a small layout change in iOS 12 keyboard (words suggestions).

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Erm... iOS 12 is only on the first beta. I’d wait until the actual release before such comparisons.

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
I’m finding the keyboard laggy and I can’t move through my words as fast. It’s exasperating. I assume that will resolve over time but. suggestions for resolving this now?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I’m finding the keyboard laggy and I can’t move through my words as fast. It’s exasperating. I assume that will resolve over time but. suggestions for resolving this now?
Perhaps your device was still indexing and getting itself sorted. Does it persist?

Reactions: xevion

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Perhaps your device was still indexing and getting itself sorted. Does it persist?

Unfortunately yes, it’s still laggy and it’s driving me to distraction, but since I am used to using Beta versions of each OS, I will just work around it til it resolves itself.

ETA: I find that I have to press rather hard to get a character to appear and can’t move particularly quickly along the keyboard the way I used to be. Oh well, I really consider this a first world problem. .

Last edited:

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
They said on the older devices it should be faster. Been watching the videos comparing them and I don't see too much of a difference, and I never noticed it being laggy?....

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I’m waiting for the day Apple implements a ‘trace’ type keyboard like Swype/SwiftKey.

I’ve tried using those on iOS but until Apple gives them full permissions (like when entering passwords etc) it’s just a hassle.

It’s all I’ve ever wanted for years but Apple will just never do it.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Yep. Its way faster coming up on older devices. I am testing on an old iPhone 6 and its much snappier than iOS 11

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
They said on the older devices it should be faster. Been watching the videos comparing them and I don't see too much of a difference, and I never noticed it being laggy?....

The “faster” claim is generally always in nanoseconds.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Everything is faster with IOS 12. I am legit shocked this is the first beta preview. IOS 12 is running better on the X than the current IOS 11 software.
I agree with this.

Despite the lack of many, many new features, I was honestly expecting this first beta to be very unstable, slow etc. But it turns out that, apart from the disappointing battery life at this point, it is actually smoother and more stable than iOS 11.4 was. It shows that Apple can do it after all. They just needed the bad media coverage to get that final push to fix things.

And again, this is just the first beta. Imagine how the public final is going to be! I look forward to seeing iOS 12 become more stable over time with every new beta.

djdsas

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2008
I’m waiting for the day Apple implements a ‘trace’ type keyboard like Swype/SwiftKey.

I’ve tried using those on iOS but until Apple gives them full permissions (like when entering passwords etc) it’s just a hassle.

It’s all I’ve ever wanted for years but Apple will just never do it.

+1 I want a apple's native keyboard with swipe abilities - should be a setting to turn on or off. so annoying they don't support this

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Unfortunately yes, it’s still laggy and it’s driving me to distraction, but since I am used to using Beta versions of each OS, I will just work around it til it resolves itself.

ETA: I find that I have to press rather hard to get a character to appear and can’t move particularly quickly along the keyboard the way I used to be. Oh well, I really consider this a first world problem. .

I thought I was going crazy!! I can't type properly any more! I have to press multiple times on a key sometimes, and I have to type really slow too!. Press and hold no longer works either. Neither does 3D touching on the keyboard. Switching languages is a nightmare too. Are you experiencing any of these issue too?

Reactions: douglasb7

wynhou

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
You also have to remember this is the first developer beta, not even public beta, and also missing the point releases of many iOS's (usually by 0.3 the OS gets visibly faster)

There's at least 3 months left of just simple bug fixing and optimizations, then another years worth of optimizations until iOS 13 where most of their real updates will be happening.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
You also have to remember this is the first developer beta, not even public beta, and also missing the point releases of many iOS's (usually by 0.3 the OS gets visibly faster)

There's at least 3 months left of just simple bug fixing and optimizations, then another years worth of optimizations until iOS 13 where most of their real updates will be happening.

Of course, Apple made it clear enough on their developer website. Thankfully I have it on just one of my iPhones for testing.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Keyboard appears much quicker when entering text-entry screens/fields on iPad Mini 4, and less lag when typing quickly. Very noticeable difference.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I thought I was going crazy!! I can't type properly any more! I have to press multiple times on a key sometimes, and I have to type really slow too!. Press and hold no longer works either. Neither does 3D touching on the keyboard. Switching languages is a nightmare too. Are you experiencing any of these issue too?
No issues here... Reboot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.