Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
For 1 Gbps fiber + speed.

I need something that can take advantage of the speed.

Unless using the web browser to upload stuff is what slows my upload transfer speed down?

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
On the contract with your ISP, is the 1 Gbps guaranteed on the local level, regional level or Internet level? And how many transit/peers does your ISP have? Some autonomous systems don’t have multi gigabit interconnection speeds. Any of them could be a bottleneck of your speed to the cloud storage service.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
On the contract with your ISP, is the 1 Gbps guaranteed on the local level, regional level or Internet level? And how many transit/peers does your ISP have? Some autonomous systems don’t have multi gigabit interconnection speeds. Any of them could be a bottleneck of your speed to the cloud storage service.
I guess just local sense it is home Fiber. AT&T Fiber.

No idea.

So is it better to just make my own cloud storage ?

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Seems like all cloud storage I try are super slow.

Is it me or the cloud provider ?

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
The good part is you are a customer of AT&T, one of the major players in the industry. That means your place and cloud storage companies on the Internet are well connected and should have decent speeds.

On the other hand, ISPs oversell their bandwidth, especially on residential services, either to save cost or to subsidize their business services. That means you are sharing the 1Gbps with your neighbors, even you might be noticing it.

On the cloud storage providers, it's pretty much the same. They don't have 1 Gbps dedicated just for one customer.

So your option would be not only building your own cloud storage, but also pay much higher prices to remove the bottlenecks, if you really want to saturate the 1 Gbps.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
For 1 Gbps fiber + speed.

I need something that can take advantage of the speed.

Unless using the web browser to upload stuff is what slows my upload transfer speed down?
Speed from any Cloud server will slow do to distance, speed and load on server do to how popular the server!

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
give filen.io a try. They give free 10GB but in my uploads they did throttle me. Maybe in the paid plans they do not throttle.

Please be careful as this service is a small time company run by like 3 people or something like that but its cheap and fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.