Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
A friend who has refused to use an iPhone gifted to him 3 years ago has now had a change of heart. His iOS version is 5.1.1 and I think it needs to be upgraded to work with Waze.

So how do I go about upgrading iOS to version 7.x.x?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can't do anything aside from leaving the version that's on it now (iOS 5) or going to the latest version that Apple is signing (iOS 8 at this point).

ScottDaisy

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
These models will run iOS 7: iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s. you can update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch right now if you want.

Here is a briefly step:
1. Prepare to install. If you plan to install wirelessly, confirm that you have an available Wi-Fi connection; if you intend to install via iTunes, you need your computer and the latest version of iTunes. (If you don’t have it, you can download it from Apple’s website. http://www.apple.com/itunes/ )

2. Back up via your computer or device.

3. Install. Settings and navigate to General > Software Update. There, you see some brief information about the update and a button to install it.

If your phone storage is full. This client side freeware could help you release some space. http://www.macblurayplayer.com/iphone-cleaner-mac.htm

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
These models will run iOS 7: iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s. you can update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch right now if you want.

Here is a briefly step:
1. Prepare to install. If you plan to install wirelessly, confirm that you have an available Wi-Fi connection; if you intend to install via iTunes, you need your computer and the latest version of iTunes. (If you don’t have it, you can download it from Apple’s website. http://www.apple.com/itunes/ )

2. Back up via your computer or device.

3. Install. Settings and navigate to General > Software Update. There, you see some brief information about the update and a button to install it.

If your phone storage is full. This client side freeware could help you release some space. http://www.macblurayplayer.com/iphone-cleaner-mac.htm

iOS 7 won't install on a 4s or later phone at this point as Apple isn't signing it. That's basically it.

(Not sure what the point of throwing in essentially an advertisement for some "cleaner" app in all of that.)

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks for the reply C DM. My pal installed 8.3 because a prompt appeared despite my saying he should install it by May 9.

It has been my habit to wait 30 days before installing an sort of update. Last thing I want is a non-working device.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the reply C DM. My pal installed 8.3 because a prompt appeared despite my saying he should install it by May 9.

It has been my habit to wait 30 days before installing an sort of update. Last thing I want is a non-working device.

Generally an update that actually cripples devices in some way is known about within hours and usually addressed by Apple soon after that.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
OP,

I would have suggested your friend to stay on ios 5 for the 4S, as its the fastest iOS for the 4S in my opinion (though it did run io6 no problem and ios 7 was snappy and fast on it too)

however, the kicker is app support and I have a 4S on iOS 5 but it has very little app support. iOS 8 has tons more features and all pretty much all the apps are supported. So its not a bad move to have iOS 8, provided the laggier animations and slightly slower app loading times don't bug you

If the 4S was my only phone, I would upgrade it to iOS 8, but the 4S is not my primary phone that I use

As of right now, your friend has no options other than to go iOS 8 (which I see they seemed to end up doing) or the other option would have been to keep iOS 5, as 6 and 7 are no longer being signed meaning you cannot put them on the phone any more.

If the question was seeking as to what the fastest iOS was for the 4S, in my opinion it was iOS 5.1.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.