Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Apr 12, 2023
That's why I am building my own NAS system from my old Acer AC100. TrueNAS as the OS and away I go. 4 18tb Spinny drives and a 512gb SSD in the PCI-e adapter for OS.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
It's 2022 and NVMe speeds creep over 6000GBps now, but even Thunderbolt external enclosure speeds seem to be around a sixth to a third at best, why is this ?

I am looking for an external enclosure with multiple lanes for RAID (admittedly, speeds will take a hit), but what is the point with only a third of the potential speed being taken advantage of ?

Hey, did you ever find a solution to get 40 Gbit/s read/write speeds on external storage?

I’m planing to get the M2 Pro Mac Mini and I'm trying to figure out if that will be possible in the future with that Mac.

Gaius Vampus

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
Here are my results with the TB3 enclosure of ANYOYO that apparently supports four PCIe lanes. Performance measurement tools such as Blackmagic's Disk Speed Test on my MacMini M1 („Mone“ :) show values above 2 Gigabyte per Second (which is close to the theoretical maximum) my test with dd is not that fast, maybe for other unrelated reasons. However, having this external enclose for some months running 24/7 it has been always reliable and compatible with two different 4TB NVMe SSDs. I would recommend the ANYOYO enclosure since the cheaper OWC EnvoyExpress is slower because it supports only 2 PCIe lanes.
Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-17 um 15.03.50.png

winterquilt

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Are you using the exposed enclosure ?

If so that leaves me a little unsettled. I would prefer the NVMe completely shrouded.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I've had this Sabrent EC-T3DN for about a year. I had dual 4TB WD SN700's in there, and now have dual 2TB Sabrent Gen3 drives installed. It's a little hot (~45C) with the two drives in there, so I added an 11mm x 100mm heat sink on top. The power brick is large and clumsy but since it never leaves the shelf on which it's installed, all is well.

Amazon reviews complain a lot about random ejecting.

I'm planning to use this as boot drive... in Fusion...
...if I could find this enclosure somewhere in EU.
Seems to be out of stock since February.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.