Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cervaro

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Kent, UK
Another case of well done for achieving it, but why bother when only the rich and/or foolhardy will actually ever consider buying one? Maybe the guy gold plating his MBP will get one? ;)

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
It'd be dumb to waste 1000$ on a piece of technology that might become obsolete if beaten by HD DVD. Not to mention the fact that if it doesn't get beaten, the price will fall significantly.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
They're milking the market for early adopters. Their price will drop eventually, too. At some point, the MBP will come straight from Apple with either a Blu-ray or HD DVD drive pre-installed, even if only as a CTO option (for less than $1000 extra).

Either way, I wish SOMEONE would go ahead and win this format war already. At the outset, I thought surely Blu-ray would be quickly victorious, what with equal definition and double the storage capacity---but this has gone on way too long now.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
They're milking the market for early adopters. Their price will drop eventually, too. At some point, the MBP will come straight from Apple with either a Blu-ray or HD DVD drive pre-installed, even if only as a CTO option (for less than $1000 extra).

Either way, I wish SOMEONE would go ahead and win this format war already. At the outset, I thought surely Blu-ray would be quickly victorious, what with equal definition and double the storage capacity---but this has gone on way too long now.

Sony is notorious for having a technically superior format that loses in the end. Frankly, I'm surprised Blu-ray lasted as long as it had, let alone potentially wins the war.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Finally! Something that makes the PS3 look inexpensive! Impressed but not willing to toss out $1000 on a format that may not survive.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005

Like those raid cards? :rolleyes:

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Only a Pro video enthusiast will pay that amount....

For mortals like us: better get a PS3.

We can burn BR on a ps3 now?

A BR burner for not TOO much more than a standard BR player isnt that bad. factor in the fact that its for a laptop and not just some huge stand alone device and you ALMOST have a deal.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
HA! Did anyone notice the pismo can get one? You would think that if they wanted a blu-ray disk burner they would have bothered with a new computer first. As for me, that $999.95 can buy better things for me, and the DVD does the job just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.