Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
So, this is pretty cool. For those here who appreciate FastMail, looks like they recently updated their side to allow for iOS/macOS push support for calendaring and contacts via CalDAV and CardDAV, respectively.

Their blog post: https://blog.fastmail.com/2016/10/10/push-sync-for-contacts-calendars-now-available-on-ios/

In conjunction with their support of push mail on iOS as of last summer or so, they now support push mail, contacts, and calendars on Apple hardware -- just like iCloud and, in some respects, better than iCloud. Unlike Apple's own implementation, FastMail also synchronizes message state (e.g., read, unread, so forth) via push.

I currently use FastMail for mail, but iCloud for everything else -- contact info, calendars, notes, photos, reminders. I am not a heavy user of iCloud Pages/Numbers/Keynote nor do I use Find Friends. I haven't been using iCloud Drive but have considered it with the changes that came with Sierra.

I occasionally use the FastMail web interface versus Apple Mail.

I don't like having split services. However, I'm curious what the technical folks of MacRumors think -- any inherent pros/cons to switching PIM-type information over to FastMail entirely?

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Have poked around online and haven't found much as far as this goes. Any thoughts?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
You're the one with a Fastmail account, so why don't you test it and tell us how it works? ;) I for one would be interested to hear about your experiences. For example, does it support custom fields in the contacts?

Generally, I don't see any downside in mixing and matching services from different providers that work best for you. One obvious advantage of Fastmail is that it can also be used easily on non-Apple devices, which isn't so straightforward with iCloud Contacts and Calendar (since Apple doesn't publicize the CalDAV and CardDAV URLs).

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Happily. Planning on it when I have a few minutes to re-do things in iOS. I can say that Fastmail advertises that while they don't display custom fields or even more granular fields as seen in iCloud contacts, they do store all information. Basically, never destructive.

If I ever move away from Apple hardware, there is that. I'm platform-agnostic in some ways -- just prefer Apple hardware at this point.

Reactions: Rigby

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
You're the one with a Fastmail account, so why don't you test it and tell us how it works? ;) I for one would be interested to hear about your experiences. For example, does it support custom fields in the contacts?

Generally, I don't see any downside in mixing and matching services from different providers that work best for you. One obvious advantage of Fastmail is that it can also be used easily on non-Apple devices, which isn't so straightforward with iCloud Contacts and Calendar (since Apple doesn't publicize the CalDAV and CardDAV URLs).

Updating my own thread from months ago. Lost art on the internet.

Have been using Fastmail for mail for a long time. Contacts and calendars within the last few months only.

(I am not trying to advertise for FM. Use what you want. No referrals from me.)

All in all, it's been a great experience. Seamless push. Nothing glitchy thus far. Of course, iCloud was fine for contact/calendar use, but I was trying to have those things on the same service where my mail was.

Fastmail contacts do not display the same granularity of information as does iCloud, but they store it non-destructively, for what that's worth.

All in all, it felt like a lateral move, but a little bit better for me for the above reason.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I recently returned to Fastmail for hosting my domain email. (Went from Fastmail to Google, now back.) I haven't tried contacts or calendar, mostly because I'm worried I'll wind up with dupes. But I love Fastmail.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Updating my own thread from months ago. Lost art on the internet.

Have been using Fastmail for mail for a long time. Contacts and calendars within the last few months only.

(I am not trying to advertise for FM. Use what you want. No referrals from me.)

All in all, it's been a great experience. Seamless push. Nothing glitchy thus far. Of course, iCloud was fine for contact/calendar use, but I was trying to have those things on the same service where my mail was.

Fastmail contacts do not display the same granularity of information as does iCloud, but they store it non-destructively, for what that's worth.

All in all, it felt like a lateral move, but a little bit better for me for the above reason.
The lack of travel time for calendar appointments is holding me back from migrating my calendars to FM.

Contacts should probably be fine, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.