Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowi1de

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
Hey Folks,

I recently had my iPhone 12 Pro at an official Apple Store for Battery Replacement (Wireless charging killed it to 80% in no time ...)
Everything was smooth and fast, however, they told me that they damaged the screen while replacing the battery. And I thought "Well nice, a fresh new display, looks good" .. Everything was good until a few days on vacation when I used it in light rain.
The iPhone started issuing "needs to cool down" warnings. later followed by random restarts every 5 min or so. Now a green line on the screen starts appearing, I think it can only be a couple of hours until it breaks completely. Due to the short "alive" cycles I'm not able to finish a backup, but that is okay as I'm able to pull the Photos, the rest should be backed up.

TL;DR / tricky part:
- I'm on a picturesque road trip vacation and need the phone for multiple reasons
- I don't know if Apple would be able to repair it here, there are no "real" Apple Stores, which seem to be slower
- The Battery Replacement has at least 90 Days "Warrenty" (Germany) that everything was done right etc. => will Apple try to repair it again or they won't care about Water / Liquid Damage even if it's clearly caused by faulty repair?
- My tendency is towards buying a new Phone here ASAP, probably iPhone 14 Pro, which is bad timing with 15 on the horizon or?
- I hope to sell one of those re-repaired 12 Pro or 14 Pro used a few days afterward

What you think?

rowi1de

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
Ok because I like to talk to myself 🤣
- I bought the 14 Pro on vacation because I had no real choice
- Apple Store was very convenient, the previous display repair was only set as a note not a registered repair / replacement item as it should be
- I got a refurbished iPhone 12 Pro now which I hopefully can sell well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.