Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I just saw an article on a new Dell Inspiron 14 that uses a Qualcomm SoC and runs Windows 11 for ARM64 (albeit the Home Edition in 'S' mode). Said SoC is supposedly a higher-end SoC from the previous generation. The laptop retails at $500 and is much more affordable than either the Surface Pro X second generation or the LTE Surface Pro 9. The article pointed that out and it got me wondering: I'm sure the number of choices of ARM64 PCs with Windows 11 for ARM64 is growing and is much more than when I last tuned in (I last tuned in when the options were the first generation Surface Pro X, a crappy 2-in-1 by Lenovo, and another crappy 2-in-1 by HP, all with SoCs that ran even native stuff poorly).

So, in 2023, I'm wondering; do you have a model you've tried and liked? If so, which models have you played with and liked?

I'm curious to play with Windows 11 for ARM64 on hardware built for it to see just how far things have come and how far they need to go before it's sensible to recommend them to someone instead of a regular x86-64 Windows PC.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
M1 MBP, seriously, the M1 running parallels is far superior to any other ARM abased computer

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
As noted above the M1/M2 mac's are performance wise far superior to any other current ARM based laptop

However

My wife's little Samsung Book S that's almost 3 years old is still smaller, lighter, longer endurance and better mobile connectivity with LTE than any mac :)

I bought her the Samsung Arm based laptop to replace her literally lagging Macbook 12" that also understandably had failing battery being 5 years old

Her needs are very modest and would just be most peoples dailies (email, web, skype and some MSWord) but it has been a far superior device for her usage than the MacBook ever was.

Its been upgraded to full Win11 home and runs probably better than it ever did. Its a very cute device and a shame its never been refreshed

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.