Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Just wanted to see what the collectors on Macrumors find the most valuable in their collection, sentimental or not. If my screen name isn't a good indication of what MY favorite collected computer is, then, well I give up :).

The reason the Quadra 840av is my favorite collectible apple has more to do with sentimental value then cash value. I first used the 840s back in High school when they were new. If you were in the Video Production program at my high school, you were given the username and password to log into one of the many Video hardware equipped Apple computers. You were also aloud to "play" on them during any study hall or other free time you had in school.

I had completed many projects on the Quadra computer, including an end of the year video back in 1994. That Video was played in front of most of my Sophomore class to kick off summer. that was also the only time I have EVER used Rap in a video.

In the 2 years we had the Quadra (they GAVE it to the Middle School for the 1994 - 1995 year) I had learned how to use the Speech recognition features, and the Quadra had "learned" my voice well enough for me to do much of my work by using only the mouse and my voice :) .

I currently still use my Quadra to digitize audio from Cassette tape, and in about a month, I will be digitizing vinyl records from my Mom's collection, so she can listen to them on her iPod. I know my G5 can do everything my Quadra can, and much faster, but there is something about the Quadra that makes it more fun.

Please share your stories in regards to your favorite Macintosh.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, I'm gonna have to say the iBook I'm using right now. It was the first major purchase I ever did on my own (computer or otherwise). It's just a regular G4 but we've been through a lot together (mainly bad assignments to be honest) and we've seriously bonded. No kidding, my girlfriend gets jealous.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I, too, think my current iBook is the most awsome machine ever...

Not to diminish the Pismo I upgraded from, which was and still is a great machine, but the leap from the Pismo to the iBook G4 was MUCH bigger than the previous one, from a G3 upgraded PowerMac 7500 to the Pismo...

(And my first Mac, a Performa 630CD, will always be remembered with a special fondness... ;))

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Well, my favorite Macintosh is my Quadra 950. I can recall when they (the 900/950) were released and I thought that they were dream systems. At the time there was no way I could afford a Quadra 950, so I kept working with my SE/30 (and kept dreaming of what I could do with a 950).

Well, a number of years later I was able to get myself one and I expanded it with most of the things that I had dreamed of earlier (added two video cards and expanded the onboard VRAM to 2 MB, put three 21" displays on it, put 136 MB of RAM in it, a couple nice size hard drives, a CD-ROM drive, A CDR drive, and finally a PowerPC 601 upgrade). All and all it is a great system... specially for it's age.

:rolleyes:

As for the subject of my favorite computer in my collection, I would have to say that my IBM ThinkPad ties my Quadra 950 in that respect.

Beyond the fact that it is a great little system that has been running wonderfully for years (and I could always depend on it), there is a certain amount of enjoyment that I get when I boot up an Apple OS on a PC in front of people. I've had Rhapsody running on that system since early 2000 (it replaced OPENSTEP that I had on it before that) and it has been one of the most trouble free systems I've ever seen.

So yeah, there is the coolness factor but also the amount of time I've spent on it that makes it such a special little system for me.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I have a soft spot for my 1989 Mac SE-30 because it was my first Mac. My Dad had a few before that but the SE-30 was the first one I bought on my own. It worked until last year now it's a fishtank. I REALLY love my 17" PB I have now though

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Awesome stories!!

Keep them coming, and yes "ANY" computer in your collection is welcome to be mentioned in this thread. I know a few of us have NeXt (sp? caps?) in their collection, so go ahead and post them, as well as X86 computers.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I loved my Powerbook 2400c, but I had to sell it to upgrade. I will always have a soft spot for it though.
I also loved my Compaq Presario AMD K-6 233mhz, it was my first computer ever at the age of 10.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
840quadra said:
Just wanted to see what the collectors on Macrumors find the most valuable in their collection, sentimental or not.
As I mentioned before, I really liked my 840av. Great computer.

As for my favorite, I would have to say my TAM (20th Anniversary Mac). It is so unique and cool. The sound is awesome. Just wish that I could upgrade it to run Panther.

Sushi

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
sushi said:
As I mentioned before, I really liked my 840av. Great computer.

As for my favorite, I would have to say my TAM (20th Anniversary Mac). It is so unique and cool. The sound is awesome. Just wish that I could upgrade it to run Panther.

Sushi

The TAM is the (no pun intended) apple of my eye!

I would love to get my hands on one, but the prices are STILL high, and I doubt they will ever go any lower. I do remember you talking about the 840. Too bad it gave you so much grief in the end of it's life. :(

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
TAM

840quadra said:
The TAM is the (no pun intended) apple of my eye!

My TAM is my favourite, upgraded to a G3 500/128 with a network card it sits upstairs linked to my G4 iMac downstairs, it is a special machine!

http://www.mac-collection.co.uk

Attachments

• TAMWeb.jpg
    TAMWeb.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 302

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I miss my Bondi iMac. :(

We had an original Macintosh that I miss, too.

I'd have to say that my G4 MDD 1.25 is my fav.

The iMac G5 is next.

Then the iBook.

(Sorry iBook owners).

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
My favorite would have to be my 500 MHz Cube.

Second to that would be my first computer ever, my trusty Atari 800. :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
My first Mac, a Quadra 610, would have to be the sentimental favorite. After that its a close tie between my Rev. C Lime iMac, which got me through college, and my current G4, the most powerful computer I've owned.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I love my TAM, too. I paid a lot of money for it though.
I was given an 840av by my wife, she used it all through college. It's in the US now sitting in storage (no room for it over here.)
I use my MP2100 on a regular basis. I love that thing :D
I don't have 1 favorite of them all, that's why I have so many!

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Well, I have more Macs then I can list but, I would say my most favorite My Newton 2100, QuickTake 200, Lisa 2/5, and Lisa 2/10... But then again I love all my Macs (I have like 200 Plus {I know} Macs)... I think the coolest items are the rare Apple Items.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I no longer have it but......
my 15" 800MHz iMac G4 Superdrive was by far my favorite of all time. There may never be another........... :)

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
840quadra said:
If my screen name isn't a good indication of what MY favorite collected computer is, then, well I give up :)..
I'm similar in the was that my screen name is a clue to my favorite computer that I own. It's a 1ghz G4 15" with 512 MB RAM.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Gotta be the Mini.

I've got the Mac Plus that was my first Mac, and SE 2/40 (megabytes that is, not Gigabytes) and the SE/30, but honestly -- 9" screen for PageMaker 1.2???
and the II and the IIci, and the IIfx (OK, it's colour, but why does a Photoshop layout take 45 seconds to redraw on the screen?), and the 6100 (*@#^ did I hate that machine - ugg-ly) and the Quadra 700, and the 950 (dogs, both of them) and the 8100, don't have the Powerbook 170 anymore (stolen) and the 8500 (that was OK, my first Sonnet G3 but a B$&#@ to get at the motherboard), the 9600 (Used that for quite a while), the Beige G3 workhorse, the Dual 500, gone now, traded in on the Dual 1.25. Never quite warmed up to the iBook G3 500 before it got stolen.

But I like the Mini.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'd say my iBook G3 because its the first computer that I purchased on my own and worked my ass off for quite some time and saved when I was 17 to buy it. Although I use my PMG5 more often. The money for it didn't come out of my own pocket, but was from a student loan which I'll be paying for later.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
I have quite a soft spot for the Powerbook 1400. It’s a good looking machine, far better than the 5300 preceding it or the 3400 that followed. It is really well built with one of the best keyboards ever. It’s the only Powerbook that allows for easy processor upgrades (up to a 400mhz G3) crippled by its 64mb ram ceiling though. The customisable top case is a great feature too. Mine runs OS 8.6 (the best pre OSX system) like a dream, and has no issues with joining in on my wireless network.

Otto Rehhagel

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Mine is the Macintosh IIsi. Not quite a IIci but better than an LC. OS 7, clarisworks, and my 13" CRT (Cinema Display :p ) I still love the sound of that humming fan...

By the way, it runs pretty fast at 25 MHz. It only has 8 mb Ram, 80 mb hard drive. Probably one of the most efficient computers I own.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
MacEffects said:
Well, I have more Macs then I can list but, I would say my most favorite My Newton 2100, QuickTake 200, Lisa 2/5, and Lisa 2/10... But then again I love all my Macs (I have like 200 Plus {I know} Macs)... I think the coolest items are the rare Apple Items.

I thought I had a lot! How do you store them/use them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.