Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
dc
Looking for a simple image browser from the App Store that can quickly preview Sony Raw files. Yes I know of Photo Mechanic & Acdsee however I'm wondering if there are any on the app store that people like. Would be great if you could rate or tag a photo file that could then be read in the OS's Finder. Looking for simplicity and Raw file support.

Any suggestions?

thanks

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Looking for a simple image browser from the App Store that can quickly preview Sony Raw files. Yes I know of Photo Mechanic & Acdsee however I'm wondering if there are any on the app store that people like. Would be great if you could rate or tag a photo file that could then be read in the OS's Finder. Looking for simplicity and Raw file support.

Any suggestions?

thanks
You might check out RAW Power. Developer is a former Aperture lead. I think it can do all you're after.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
dc
thanks for the response, Yes I tried it out, it can no longer tag to the finder level not a deal breaker. The issue I had too complex for my needs of an image browser not a fluid speedy flow always another menu to go through. I put it in the category of 'bloated Swiss Army knife" a bunch of features - not good at any one. Graphic Converter is in that category as well.

Right now I'm testing Photo Mechanic but I feel again overkill and costly seeing that it can't tag to the finder level and I don't see any copy verification when backing up. Plus I love software that's on the App Store so much easier to update and keep track of.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Lyn.app is my choice for a simple browser.

Also, Fast Raw Viewer is good.

Not sure if they’re on the App Store.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
After years of using Photo Mechanic, recently I've been using Narrative Select (I think someone on here had mentioned it and that is why I checked it out in the first place). I like both programs, and in many ways they are similar. Each of them does notify me when an update is available, so I've never found that to be a problem. The ease of quickly skimming through the images, especially when I've shot a lot in burst mode so that differences from one image frame to the next can be very subtle, is very helpful. I think the zooming tool in Narrative Select is better than in Photo Mechanic, but that may just be me and my own perceptions.

I can easily zoom in on details of an image, ensuring that, say, a Blue Heron's eyes are sharp or that the details marking a turtle and his shell are sharp. Once I've identified an image as one I will want to edit, it's a simple matter to create a new folder, which is then retained within the folder in which I'm already working. When I've finished reviewing the images I can simply pluck the "To Be Edited" folder out of the main one and stick it on the desktop for easy access.

Neither program is free nor even inexpensive, but IMHO both are worth it, and either would be a good purchase.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I'd forgotten about Fastrawviewer - it is indeed fantastic and is the only tool I know that isn't showing you the embedded JPEG when you're browsing. It's showing you the rendered raw file very quickly and a lot of interesting info that goes along with it. It's wicked fast to rate and tag. Super cheap too if that's important.

The challenge OP will have with any program on offer is the desire to have the tagged and rated raw files searchable at the OS finder layer. Spotlight isn't well suited with doing that on raw files since (last time I checked anyway) it doesn't let you do simple queries on XMP metadata keywords to tie to raws. You can do a "contains" search for something like "content contains 'Rating>5'" but that would just show XMP files. Photo Mechanic has a Finder extension but you're still using PM to do the searching and browsing.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
dc
thanks everyone for the responses. Yes I've known about Fast Raw viewer. Tagging at the Finder level would be nice just not necessary. (although I can't believe this isn't requested more by photographers?)

Does it say something about the App Store that even here on MR when looking for a simple basic image browser nobody uses a program found on it?

From my own thoughts I have come to Hate Photo Mechanic and glad I only tested it - every time I open the program up it has reverted to saving the cache files on my boot drive not where I had pointed them to be saved the external. It again is cluttered with too much stuff yet ironically it doesn't do some of the basic workflow items you would think most photographers would want or need (or at least me) for a costly piece of software.

Oh well the search continues for a simple but usable image browser.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Have you looked at Adobe Bridge? Last I knew it was free, although you would have to have an Adobe account.
I was thinking the same, but OP seems to really not like programs that are "cluttered" with things they don't want. And wow, Adobe really knows how to gild the lily with many things. I use Photo Mechanic in part because it is speedy and uncluttered and fast as compared to Bridge (in my experience).

@cSalmon there are other tools besides rating and tagging that allow you to find the images you want once you've done an edit. I don't even know how I'd do a Finder search for tagged or rated images. What you can do, however, is batch-rename your top selected images, so you can do a simple Finder search, and know that every file with a number lower than, say, 100, is one of your selected images. Or add a character such as "+" or "*" or "!" to the filenames of your favorites when batch renaming. All of these programs allow you to batch rename. So there may be creative workarounds to get the same results you want, with all of the tools mentioned here.

Reactions: r.harris1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.