Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Favourite Instant Messaging Client for the iPhone?

• Meebo

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • eBuddy

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Trillian Astra

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Beejive

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • Mundu

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I'm getting my iPhone on Wednesday (yippee), and I've found that these are the main IM "apps" to go for:-

-meebo
-ebuddy
-trillian astra
-jivetalk (beejive)
-mundu

I'm only interested in MSN, so unfortunately FlickIM is out for me. Like most people, I want to be able to add IM contacts on my iPhone, and easily manage multiple conversations (with emoticons, "...is typing", some sort of visual notification of a new IM in the different chats). Staying logged in - ideally when the iPhone is in standby, but at least when I just go off Safari and do something else - is important. I'll also be using WiFi 95% of the time.

So which is the best, and why?

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I was a fan of beejive for a long time, until meebo.

But now I am back on beejive!

Anyone have an invite for trillian? :eek:

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I thought there'd be more votes for eBuddy to be honest - it seems to be the most full-featured, with tabbed chats etc. Only thing against it is that when they keyboard's up, you can only see one line of text, and there's a lot of messing around to do with windows/scrolling/positioning etc.

Why do you consider Beejive to be better than Meebo? :)

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I like the fact that I never have to login!

it just saves my addresses and passwords in a cookie, so when I get there all I have to do is tap the address(es) I want to sign in on.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Cool :)

When the iPhone goes into standby, and/or when you go out of Safari and do something else, does it keep you logged in? And if you do stay in Safari, do you have to stay on the Beejive page, or can you be looking at another page and it'll still keep you signed in?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
They all like to disconnect you...accept for flickIM... that keeps you in their server.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
They all like to disconnect you...accept for flickIM... that keeps you in their server.

Annoying.

And FlickIM's AIM-only isn't it :( Roll on a native iPhone IM/MSN app (and not just iChat, as this will likely just support AIM, and using Jabber isn't exactly ideal).

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Annoying.

And FlickIM's AIM-only isn't it :( Roll on a native iPhone IM/MSN app (and not just iChat, as this will likely just support AIM, and using Jabber isn't exactly ideal).

QFT!
Adium iPhone style FTW!

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I like how beejive can actively switch between edge and wifi, also it does a pretty decent job at keeping you connected when you switch programs, web pages, etc. It's not perfect but it works great.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
i love beejive, but lately it's been "acting" up, requiring me to more or less clear my cookies several times a day in order to login otherwise i get stupid javascript errors. but clearing the cookies affects all other data i have associated with other sites. a royal pain in the ass. beejive needs to fix this. anyone else experience this?

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Sorry - I really wish ApolloIM was MSN, and not just AIM, otherwise it'd be on the list ;)

I agree with those who prefer either Meebo or Beejive btw, it's a close call. For those that decided between the two, why do you prefer meebo or beejive over the other?

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Beejive is the one for me, after extensively testing them all :p

Looking forward to a native MSN app though.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
The web ones suck... they disconnect you when you sleep your phone.

Native chat for the win!

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
BeeJive does a pretty good job of not disconnecting you, actually.

I'd try Apollo IM but it refuses to connect. Might restore my phone and re-install AppTapp, see if it behaves.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Beejive disconnects every time im away from it for a couple mins. Its crap until it can send notifications, not ever close, etc..

clumsy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Does anyone know if beejive will be releasing an app for the iphone rather than only web based? I used beejive on my blackberry and loved it to death. I'm not a big fan of mobile chat or apollo IM because I had my buddy list separated into groups and neither of those display groups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.