Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Do you have a lens that you naturally gravitate to? One that you always take with you when you go out for a shoot?

I have to confess to two
  • Nikon D 2.8 18mm
  • Nikon D 2.8 35-70 with Macro

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
interesting... i've been eying a 50mm 1.8 for a while now... you can find them cheap enough usually... might have to pull the trigger...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
gwuMACaddict said:
interesting... i've been eying a 50mm 1.8 for a while now... you can find them cheap enough usually... might have to pull the trigger...

Best $75.00 you can spend on a Canon Lens.

It makes some pictures from my 24-70L look silly in comparison.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My f/2.8 70-200mm VR (Nikon) is my hands-down favorite lens.

First runner-up: f/2.8 17-55mm (Nikon)

Second runner-up: f/2.8 105mm Micro-Nikkor (Nikon)

I also have this intriguing older, totally manual f/2.5 Tokina 90mm which can be fun for 1:1 macro work. They're fairly hard to find and I was lucky enough to be able to nab one off eBay, one in pristine condition. Even came in the original box!

Another lens I use in dim lighting is the f/1.4 50mm (Nikon).

Although I've also got the kit lens which came with the D70 I rarely use it and probably will sell that and the D70 when I get my D200. My next lens will probably be in the wide-angle arena, as I don't really have anything that goes too wide when you factor in the digital differential. At some point I'd also like a longer tele, but most of those are so darned big and heavy that I'd have a real problem working with it out in the field.

OTB

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I love my 10.5mm f/2.8G ED AF DX Fisheye :) It is a full-frame fisheye lens, which means it fills the entire rectangular image with a curvy, distorted image and sees 180° from corner to corner diagonally. If you can imagine cutting a rectangle out of the center of a round fisheye image then you get the idea. Much more useful than a circular fisheye lens which only makes a small circle in the middle of your image.

When I'm not using the fisheye I use the lens that came with my D70s Kit, the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Cooknn said:
I love my 10.5mm f/2.8G ED AF DX Fisheye :) It is a full-frame fisheye lens, which means it fills the entire rectangular image with a curvy, distorted image and sees 180° from corner to corner diagonally.

That looks like a really cool lens and I'll bet you can produce some interesting images with it! Certainly it would be different than the usual wide-angle perspective on things...

OTB

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
iGary said:
EF 24-70 f2.8L
EF 100-400 4.5/5.6L
EF 50 1.8 II
Bastard. I really want the 100-400, but I can't afford it right now. Maybe in a year or so. Of the three you list, the only one I have is the 50mm. Great lens, but I've been woefully neglecting it in favour of my 75-300mm (which is not my favourite: I've been finding that I'm pushing it beyond its reasonable limits of late. Grr. I need something faster and sharper to pull off the shots I've been trying for, and I don't have the money to get what I want. The annoying thing is, several of the shots I've taken that it's muffed are reasonable "web"-type images; they just don't scale up to print sizes the way I want them to. All part of the learning experience, I guess.)

For me, it's something of a toss up between the EF-S 17-85 and the 50 f/1.8. Probably the 17-85, since I tend to use it more than the 50mm. I need to practice using the 50 more -- it's a great little lens, and it really shows your abilities (or lack thereof) as a photographer. (Anybody got a .625 converter for Canon lenses up for sale? :D )

sk8erboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
yes.
so what are the best brands of lens for my nikon d70s
im thinking of going with the sigma.. or nikkor/nikon package?
which lens is better quality?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Sigma makes nice lenses but in terms of quality, especially when getting into the so-called "pro" lenses, you really are better off with a Nikkor/Nikon....

Tamron, Tokina and Sigma all make lenses with a Nikon mount and some of them are quite decent quality for a lot less money than you pay for a Nikon lens, but there are individual differences between the various brands. Also it seems that sometimes one brand will do a better job with "x" mm lens than the others but not as good a job with "y" mm lens. The best thing to do is to read the reviews of the lenses in which you are interested, then ask to put the lenses on the camera (either your own or a store's model) to see for yourself what the angle of view is. If you're lucky maybe the store will let you use your own CF card to shoot a few images with each of the different lenses so that you can then take it home and run it through your computer to make comparisons.

OTB

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
nospleen said:
Tamron f/2.8 28-75mm, extremely sharp pics.

Agreed, and at 1/4 the price of the Canon equivalent, a no-brainer to boot!

My favorites (and only ones for the time being :p):
  • Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di
  • Canon 50 f1.4
I'd love the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS, but that is a bit pricey and the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is a pretty hot deal (although the non-IS Canon version is only a touch more w/ better color/contrast). I've had the ability to use the 70-200 IS on my camera (borrow from work's lab) and it's utterly awesome, I definitely am saving for it.

Not that it's a lens, but Color Copies plugin for PS is great, almost like buying a ton of hardware but doing it all in PS :)

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4. Very nice contrast and sharpness particularly with Fuji Sensia and Provia. Slide film has never been this good, but alas it's time for digital. Thinking of the Nikon 12-24mm f/4 (18-36mm FF equiv) for my D200. For me there's something wonderful about wideangle.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
My favorites:

EF 85 1.8
EF 50 1.8

I'd love to try one of the ultra-wide angle lenses though (Canon 10-22mm).

sk8erboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.