Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I've been exploring a few dedicated Android and Google news sites / blogs recently. I haven't found one that I feel stands out above the rest.

Do you have a favourite go-to dedicated site or do you just rely on news from general tech sites like The Verge?

If you do have a favourite dedicated Android/Google site, is there something specific you like about it?

Reactions: compwiz1202

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I used to be a huge fan of AndroidCentral, and still participate in the forums, but the "news" feeds or front pages of so many of these sites anymore have turned into nothing more than an overload of seemingly AI-generated click-bait style 'articles' or just overly ad-based articles. Too many "best of", "best phone", too many links within the articles to generate revenue from clicks. Some also just seem like re-writes of the same articles, or an edit on a 6 year old article brings it back to the front page, just too much repetition. I hardly visit the main pages anymore.

I used to listen to their podcast all the time also, but the people I used to like have all moved on. Well, all but one, but listening for that one isn't worth listening to the horrible host. with their ad-reads that sound like they're reading a book to a child.

Reactions: ozaz

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Umm.. I use various Android sites.. from Android Central, which @hallux mention. To Android Police, Android Authority and 9to5Google.. but people tend to sleep on XDA Developers for Android news since they tend to cover the entire tech spectrum... but I like them for Android forums.

Then there's reddit, where you can go subscribe to a specific brand or device...

Reactions: MiniApple and ozaz

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I like AP because it tends to stick strictly to Android. AP also has writers from around the world so sometimes you'll read about new phones and deals for a specific area. 9to5 Google tends to stick to Google news and products.

It's been years since i've gone to Android Authority.

Reactions: MiniApple and ozaz

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Android central fell off so hard, Phil left, deter left and the guy from overseas I think Alex dobbie left and went to xda where he's a iphone guy know.

Jerry is the star but he's too honest for mainstream but he's clearly the smartest guy there on technology.

I only listen to the verge now but they're hard IOS guys.

Not much for android guys out there honestly, they all love ios and admit ios is clearly better.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I used to be a huge fan of AndroidCentral, and still participate in the forums, but the "news" feeds or front pages of so many of these sites anymore have turned into nothing more than an overload of seemingly AI-generated click-bait style 'articles' or just overly ad-based articles. Too many "best of", "best phone", too many links within the articles to generate revenue from clicks. Some also just seem like re-writes of the same articles, or an edit on a 6 year old article brings it back to the front page, just too much repetition. I hardly visit the main pages anymore.

I used to listen to their podcast all the time also, but the people I used to like have all moved on. Well, all but one, but listening for that one isn't worth listening to the horrible host. with their ad-reads that sound like they're reading a book to a child.
Who is on there now? Haven't listened for a while. Is Daniel Bader still the host? I agree about all the older guys moving on. Is Jerry still on the podcast. I saw Alex Dobie has also left too.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Who is on there now? Haven't listened for a while. Is Daniel Bader still the host? I agree about all the older guys moving on. Is Jerry still on the podcast. I saw Alex Dobie has also left too.
Daniel left, I kind of liked his replacement (don't recall her name, she was the one that lived in Florida near Disney) but she has since moved on and the host now (Shruthi Shakar) didn't even have an Android phone when she took over! Jerry is the last hold-out. I don't like how Shruthi runs the show. Andrew Myrick and Derrick Lee are also frequent contributors on the pod.

Loved the podcast when Phil ran the show, liked Andrew Martonik. I go back to when they did it on Hangouts and you could WATCH them!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Daniel left, I kind of liked his replacement (don't recall her name, she was the one that lived in Florida near Disney) but she has since moved on and the host now (Shruthi Shakar) didn't even have an Android phone when she took over! Jerry is the last hold-out. I don't like how Shruthi runs the show. Andrew Myrick and Derrick Lee are also frequent contributors on the pod.

Loved the podcast when Phil ran the show, liked Andrew Martonik. I go back to when they did it on Hangouts and you could WATCH them!
I can’t remember her name either but I know who you mean. Yeah I remember Phill and Andrew too. Sounds like the podcast has really gone down the drain now. Apart from Jerry I don’t really know any of the others anymore.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I can’t remember her name either but I know who you mean. Yeah I remember Phill and Andrew too. Sounds like the podcast has really gone down the drain now. Apart from Jerry I don’t really know any of the others anymore.
Ara Wagoner! She's now with AP apparently...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.