Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
So it looks like FB updated the app and the jailbreak hack to bypass the need to install Messenger doesn't work. I'm on FB v26. Anyone else having this issue? Do we need to wait for the hack to be updated to bypass Messenger?

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Yeah the latest FB app update broke it for me too. We'll just to wait and see if the tweak gets updated again. It may be that FB has finally removed the legacy messenger component from the app though. If that is the case, then the tweak is broken for good.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
ugh....i HATE the messenger app! There's no reason they couldn't build all that into one. Why take up double space? Damn Zuckerberg! :mad:

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Yeah the latest FB app update broke it for me too. We'll just to wait and see if the tweak gets updated again. It may be that FB has finally removed the legacy messenger component from the app though. If that is the case, then the tweak is broken for good.

Bad news: FB removed the code.

From today (talk about the messenger code is in the comments, along with a link to another thread on the subject)): http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/2z6g66/facebook_messenger/

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Guess I'm never updating.

A bit off topic: How do I prevent certain apps from showing updates available on the AppStore, like Facebook?

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
You can revert back to the previous version. Download it from Appcake, and it works.

I just reverted to v25.0 which Messenger in the app works. I had it in my Time Machine backup luckily.

FB is becoming so much more like Apple every day.

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Thanks for the warning. I stopped on v24 since it seemed likely enough this would happen.

For anyone afraid of updating (and not wanting to re-download etc.) then you might want to install the App Update Manager on Cydia. Costs a couple bucks, maybe there's a free version, or you can edit the .plists yourself.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
So I just found an app on Cydia called ASUpdate something or another. It allows you to hide specific Apple App Store updates from updating and hides the update. it's $.99. Just bought it. Works.

Bomans

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
Belgium
You can do that for free by just renaming (use iFile or Filza) the iTunesMetadata.plist file inside the app folder.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have a few apps that will start to open and then give the warning that the app needs to upgrade to the latest version before it can be used. Don't be surprised if FB eventually starts doing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.