Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
i started to edit a project but the scratch disk wasn't set to my external drive.... Right now all the render files, capture scratch are on my internal drive... if i were to move the final cut express document folder to my external drive, will project be all messed up? if after i move the folder I would have to go back into the setting and change the scratch disk right...?

edit if it helps i'm using FCE 2 :eek:

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
puckhead193 said:
i started to edit a project but the scratch disk wasn't set to my external drive.... Right now all the render files, capture scratch are on my internal drive... if i were to move the final cut express document folder to my external drive, will project be all messed up? if after i move the folder I would have to go back into the setting and change the scratch disk right...?

edit if it helps i'm using FCE 2 :eek:

Make a back-up folder of all your internal capture/render files etc, and put that on your external hard-drive.

Then, select the copy on your external and work from that.

Proceed to change your scratch disk to the external.

Hope that helps.

Rich.

hsilver

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
New York
Move Media

In Final Cut Pro –don't know FCE –you could use Media Manager -select all
your clips in browser window, go to Media Manager and select MOVE and they would move to designated location (Chosen under 'Browse' in Media Manager) and link up without any reconnecting to go though.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
I do this in FCP all the time without a problem. Just take all the contents of your FCP scratch folder and put them in a folder of your external disk. Then in prefs change the location of the scratch disk. Should work the same in FCE.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
thanks as u can see its 2:20 AM so i gave up for the night, i'll give it ago tomorrow

i wish i had gotten pro instead of express, but theirs no point in it now cause *i hope* apple release a new Final Cut studio soon along with new PMs :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.