Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Verizon responded, suggesting its throttling plans were both fair and legal, and likely to impact only a small subset of customers. Verizon also noted that several other carriers, like Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile all have unlimited data restrictions in place.

This is a B.S. Statement...gee there's only a Few unlimited left? You ,mean you squeezed us down to a FEW..? Then let us get what we Paid for in the beginning...UNLIMITED DAM IT...!!!
It Cant possibly hurt you Now that you got everyone else to switch....

COME ON..!!!!

I,m AN AT&T UNLIMITED
They decided to stop offering it and instead of cutting everyone off right away as they could have done they allowed those who wanted to remain, but with more and more restrictions as these are no longer offered options so that at least over time those people would move off those plans for one reason or another. Of course they can just cut them off at any moment with some prior warning and that would be it--I guess most would just rather have that happen it would seem.

LouieTheLug

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2013
America
Throttle me to .54 mbps Thanks alot..!! You Might as Well shut me completely OFF!!!

Verizon responded, suggesting its throttling plans were both fair and legal, and likely to impact only a "small subset" of customers. Verizon also noted that several other carriers, like Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile all have unlimited data restrictions in place.

This is a B.S. Statement...gee there's only a Few unlimited left? You ,mean you squeezed us down to a FEW..? Then let us get what we Paid for in the beginning...UNLIMITED DAM IT...!!!
It Can't possibly hurt them Now that they got everyone else to switch and only have have a "SMALL SUBSET" RIGHT? (there words)

COME ON..!!!!

I,M AN AT&T UNLIMITED WHO WHEN 3mbps comes I GET TURNED COMPLETELY OFF..!!! BASICALLY.!!! I MEAN I PAY $30.--FOR THE 3 MBPS
SO I DO NOT GET ANYTHING FREE OR UNLIMITED ONLY AGGRAVATED TO THE POINT OF ALMOST WANTING TO DROP THE UNLIMITED PLAN SO I CAN BE ONLINE WHEN I NEED IT..!!

I'M COMMITTING MY SELF TO UNLIMITED SO I WOULD HOPE IN SOME NEAR FUTURE THEY WILL GRANT US WHAT WE PAY FOR, "UNLIMITED"..!!!

SOMEONE HELP US UNLIMITED CUSTOMERS...!! A DEAL IS A DEAL..!!!
WE ARE THE LITTLE PEOPLE WHO GET STEPPED ON OVER AND OVER..

I DIDN'T COME TO THEM AND OFFER THEM THE "UNLIMITED PLAN" THEY CAME TO ME... THIS WOULD "NOT" WORK IN MY WORLD. IN MY WORLD IF I DID THIS TO SOMEONE I WOULD BE SUED OR QUITE POSSIBLY BEAT UP OR KILLED..!!! ("YOU THINK I'M BEING TO DRAMATIC"?)

WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING BIG PHONE COMPANIES, "I"M NOT"!!!

I'VE BEEN PUTTING UP WITH THIS ***** LONG ENOUGH...

P.S. THROTTLE ME IF I GO OVER 10 mbps Then I'LL DEAL WITH THAT, EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT " UNLIMITED", I'LL BE HAPPY..!!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Verizon responded, suggesting its throttling plans were both fair and legal, and likely to impact only a "small subset" of customers. Verizon also noted that several other carriers, like Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile all have unlimited data restrictions in place.

It Can't possibly hurt them Now that they got everyone else to switch and only have have a "SMALL SUBSET" RIGHT? (there words)

COME ON..!!!!

I,M AN AT&T UNLIMITED WHO WHEN 3mbps comes I GET TURNED COMPLETELY OFF..!!! BASICALLY.!!! I MEAN I PAY $30.--FOR THE 3 MBPS
SO I DO NOT GET ANYTHING FREE OR UNLIMITED ONLY AGGRAVATED TO THE POINT OF ALMOST WANTING TO DROP THE UNLIMITED PLAN SO I CAN BE ONLINE WHEN I NEED IT..!!

I'M COMMITTING MY SELF TO UNLIMITED SO I WOULD HOPE IN SOME NEAR FUTURE THEY WILL GRANT US WHAT WE PAY FOR, "UNLIMITED"..!!!

SOMEONE HELP US UNLIMITED CUSTOMERS...!! A DEAL IS A DEAL..!!!
WE ARE THE LITTLE PEOPLE WHO GET STEPPED ON OVER AND OVER..

I DIDN'T COME TO THEM AND OFFER THEM THE "UNLIMITED PLAN" THEY CAME TO ME... THIS WOULD "NOT" WORK IN MY WORLD. IN MY WORLD IF I DID THIS TO SOMEONE I WOULD BE SUED OR QUITE POSSIBLY BEAT UP OR KILLED..!!! ("YOU THINK I'M BEING TO DRAMATIC"?)

WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING BIG PHONE COMPANIES, "I"M NOT"!!!

I'VE BEEN PUTTING UP WITH THIS ***** LONG ENOUGH...

P.S. THROTTLE ME IF I GO OVER 10 mbps Then I'LL DEAL WITH THAT, EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT " UNLIMITED", I'LL BE HAPPY..!!!
Just as easily as they supposedly "came to you" to offer it they can come to you to then change it or get rid of it and it's up to you to stay with it or switch to some other currently existing plan or to leave them completely. Those are the terms of the deal that you accepted to by getting it, whether it not you actually cared to look through them, understand them, or actually agree with them. Such is how business has worked for ages. Nothing really new there.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
I,M AN AT&T UNLIMITED WHO WHEN 3mbps comes I GET TURNED COMPLETELY OFF..!!! BASICALLY.!!!
(snip)

Verizon doesn't throttle all the time after hitting a limit, like some other carriers.

Verizon only throttles for the time period that it's necessary to give non-unlimited customers a decent experience on a congested cell.

I think that's pretty decent of them to allow grandfathered unlimited users (who are often paying as low as $23 a month) unlimited bandwidth most of the time, and only throttle when necessary.

LouieTheLug

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2013
America
Does not "get" what i'm saying

They decided to stop offering it and instead of cutting everyone off right away as they could have done they allowed those who wanted to remain, but with more and more restrictions as these are no longer offered options so that at least over time those people would move off those plans for one reason or another. Of course they can just cut them off at any moment with some prior warning and that would be it--I guess most would just rather have that happen it would seem.

So I Can Just Do The Same Thing To Them? Maybe I'll Stop Paying Them.
Come on? Don't Get Me Going. That May Be True, But Its Not Cool..!!!
You Must Work for A PHONE COMPANY, NO?

kdarling

macrumors P6
That's not quite accurate. Unlimited data mostly started with the iPhone. Steve Jobs required it in his negotiations with AT&T.

Unlimited plans had been available for years before Apple came along. Most carriers offered them for about $40 a month. That's what I was paying on Verizon, and Cingular (later AT&T) had about the same plans.

The AT&T CEO was only wishing he hadn't included unlimited with every iPhone purchase.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I Can Just Do The Same Thing To Them? Maybe I'll Stop Paying Them.
Come on? Don't Get Me Going. That May Be True, But Its Not Cool..!!!
You Must Work for A PHONE COMPANY, NO?
If that's part of the terms of the deal you have then sure you can do what's there--you can offer to pay less or nothing and they can then excersice turning off your service as likely stated in the terms you agreed to. All this talk is really nothing given that you accepted the terms when you decided to get the service. You can argue, sure, but again you agreed to what can happen. And just because I live in reality and make sure I understand the details of whatever I get into doesn't mean that I work for a phone company or anyone in particular. Why does common sense imply something sinister or wrong to some people?

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
If that's part of the terms of the deal you have then sure you can do what's there--you can offer to pay less or nothing and they can then excersice turning off your service as likely stated in the terms you agreed to. All this talk is really nothing given that you accepted the terms when you decided to get the service. You can argue, sure, but again you agreed to what can happen. And just because I live in reality and make sure I understand the details of whatever I get into doesn't mean that I work for a phone company or anyone in particular. Why does common sense imply something sinister or wrong to some people?

It doesn't necessarily imply anything. However, everyone can apply their own common sense to the zeal with which you are on this message board defending the cell companies against EVERY criticism of the handling of their unlimited plan customers.

Common sense tells some of us that there's more than meets the eye here.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
In Ireland you pay 20euro and have unlimited data on pre-pay - on bill pay it's a 55 euro with unlimited everything..;) http://www.three.ie

You guys in US should catch up...;)

60% of the USA is on "family plans"

The family plans offer significant savings with the $9.99 add a line.

So most of us average $40-50 a line on family plans plus get a subsidy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It doesn't necessarily imply anything. However, everyone can apply their own common sense to the zeal with which you are on this message board defending the cell companies against EVERY criticism of the handling of their unlimited plan customers.

Common sense tells some of us that there's more than meets the eye here.
Or people like reading things into something. Just because I participate in discussions and threads often and stand by a particular opinion I might have doesn't mean there's something specific behind it beyond me simply participating in a discussion (even if a "heated" one at times). But, sure, people can read what they want into things, which often says something more about them then someone else.

In any case, this part of the discussion seems fairly off topic and rather moot.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Just keep it going until..

Why not just throttle my ATT unlimited plan when it's over 5Gigs AND when the network is too congested? We program everything in the world so why not emplace that type of program?

Where did the magic "5 Gigs" of use come from anyway?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
End result is either we lose our unlimited plans or we will still be throttled.

I actually prefer the latter.

G MAN2

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
Your discredit yourself with your attempts to mock and ridicule. People with strong arguments don't need to resort to the demeaning of others. Below I've listed the profit margins of AT&T and Verizon, along with a sampling of several other large US corporations. You'll see that Verizon and AT&T have margins that are far below many other industries. If they're attempting to "rape" anyone, they're doing a really poor job of it.

http://ycharts.com/companies/VZ/profit_margin
http://ycharts.com/companies/T/profit_margin
http://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/profit_margin
http://ycharts.com/companies/IBM/profit_margin
http://ycharts.com/companies/GOOG/profit_margin
http://ycharts.com/companies/CVX/profit_margin
http://ycharts.com/companies/CMCSA/profit_margin

----------

You're welcome to move to S. Korea at any time. Although I think you'll find their censored internet less to your liking than you imagine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_South_Korea

You tell me to "get lost dude" and then dont like what comes back at you? and then say that to me?You make me laugh!

G MAN2

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
People are paying for it and cell companies have beyond tons of subscribers. Seems like market in action.

I almost want to explain but won't as I really don't care that much.

Suffice to say, in a one horse town everyone has to ride the same horse.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I almost want to explain but won't as I really don't care that much.

Suffice to say, in a one horse town everyone has to ride the same horse.
Yeah it's not like here are 4 major national providers and plenty others using those networks in addition to a bunch of smaller provides. Or is it that they offer similar things...in which case it seems like they all see the market and go with it accordingly. Surprisingly all similar quality and size cars are also priced similarly, despite there being quite a few manufacturers making them. Market in action yet again.

WB2

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
!@!@!

In countries all over the world on 4G networks that are the same as the UK/USA the price of one downloaded GB is less than $1, and in countries that are really poor (Cambodia/Philippines/Belize) the people are screaming about it being too much, and they happen to be correct.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Here's the weird thing.

AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Spring all had unlimited plans when things were EDGE and the early-mid days of 3G. Slowly, they all dropped them, with older customers being grandfathered in.

Within the past 12-24 months, both T-Mobile and Sprint have reintroduced Unlimited plans. AT&T and Verizon are the ones lagging.

It's not that weird. ATT and VZW are the undisputed market leaders. They have the biggest marketshare for both personal and corporate accounts. Sprint and T-Mob are the "little guys" that need to give more of an incentive to pull in new customers. But even Sprint and T-Mobs "unlimited" has a big asterisk by it and they also throttle their biggest data users.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I, for one, am really looking forward to pCell. Such technology enables unlimited fiber connections straight to your phone. It doesn't have the same limitations as WIFI (distance) or cellular (congestion). The phone companies will probably still build pricing tiers because we as consumers are now used to them. Pricing tiers for data came from necessity due to technological limitations. Pay more for more data because when you're using data it limits other people who can use that same data. pCell is supposed to eliminate that congestion, but like I said, they'll still monetize tiers. My hope is that those tiers are more reasonable. Should have three tiers:

Basic (cheapo plan): 10GB

Moderate (most users): 100GB

Unlimited

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Yeah... I don't know what the current unlimited contracts say... or if they even mention a specific data-rate.

I was just saying that the amount of data is what people think of when they hear unlimited... not speed.

Yes, but as gavroche stated, any ambiguity in a contract is decided in the non-drafting party's favor. So, if the silence on data-rate creates any ambiguity about the terms of the contract, then that same silence means that any question regarding data-rate should be decided in the favor of the *user*, because the user didn't draft the contract.

pito189

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2006
yei FCC! :cool: :)

I hate that AT&T throttles me after exactly 5GB to speeds of 0.15MB/sec or less making a webpage take about 3 mins just to load, maybe if they weren't that ridiculous w/ the throttling many wouldn't complain.

This every single time. And if you call to ask what is going on. They will never say throttle once. They will make you do resets and suggest you need a new phone.

Throttle is a 4 letter word to AT&T.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Like I said, contracts aren't in question here. There are no throttled contract plans. Period.

You're aware of the change, in advance of actually being throtted. If that's not plain English, then I don't know what is. You haven't paid for truly unlimited data. The price you paid is far below what truly unlimited data would cost. Now you know the truth, so go change your plan if you wish. Quit trying to screw over others who like their plans.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. I paid for unlimited data on my contract. It's right there in the contract terms. If they actually priced it below what it cost them, that's not my problem. (It's also almost certainly not the case, since they continue to extend my contract under the original, unlimited data terms.)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. I paid for unlimited data on my contract. It's right there in the contract terms. If they actually priced it below what it cost them, that's not my problem. (It's also almost certainly not the case, since they continue to extend my contract under the original, unlimited data terms.)
What exactly is there in those terms? Something about the speeds being guaranteed it anything related to that?

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Where in contract (or essentially terms and conditions) does it say something in particular about speeds?

That whole argument is a non-starter.

If you're going to claim/imply that the lack of mention about particular speeds creates any ambiguity in the contract terms, you should keep the following in mind: any ambiguity in a contract is, by law, resolved in favor of the non-drafting party. So, if the lack of specificity about the network speeds creates ambiguity, then the *user* of the plan, not the owner of the network who drafted the contract, is the one who benefits from said ambiguity.

----------

This. Read every contract, it has the term "up to" in your speed. No carrier can guarantee speeds, that's just insanity. So it doesn't matter if you're throttled, your bits can still access the network, so therefore your data is still unlimited, and the carrier is still within the terms of their contract.

Are you claiming that the contract is ambiguous about the speeds offered? If so, you should know that according to contract law, any such ambiguity is to be resolved/interpreted in favor of the non-drafting party. So, if the specified speed is ambiguous (as you seem to be claiming), it actually *doesn't* leave room for the party who drafted the contract to interpret that however they wish.

----------

The only time you might be guaranteed something is for a duration of a contract. Once there is no contract the terms can change or service discontinued with some advance notice. Basic contract law when it comes to anything and has been I existence since long before cell phones or anything technological.

And those unlimited contracts have been extended by AT&T time after time when people renew. They don't offer those terms to *new* customers any more, but they continue to offer those terms to existing customers who signed up under those terms while they *were* available to new customers.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That whole argument is a non-starter.

If you're going to claim/imply that the lack of mention about particular speeds creates any ambiguity in the contract terms, you should keep the following in mind: any ambiguity in a contract is, by law, resolved in favor of the non-drafting party. So, if the lack of specificity about the network speeds creates ambiguity, then the *user* of the plan, not the owner of the network who drafted the contract, is the one who benefits from said ambiguity.

----------

Are you claiming that the contract is ambiguous about the speeds offered? If so, you should know that according to contract law, any such ambiguity is to be resolved/interpreted in favor of the non-drafting party. So, if the specified speed is ambiguous (as you seem to be claiming), it actually *doesn't* leave room for the party who drafted the contract to interpret that however they wish.

----------

And those unlimited contracts have been extended by AT&T time after time when people renew. They don't offer those terms to *new* customers any more, but they continue to offer those terms to existing customers who signed up under those terms while they *were* available to new customers.
Yup, they keep offering the same terms where nothing states about any speeds being guaranteed (and that whole thing meaning that they therefore can't throttle because that's not in the contract is stretching the whole "in favor" argument beyond what it would apply to), and it also states they can stop offering the plan or change something about it with simply notice and your rights are then to accept it or not and leave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.