Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghulst

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
South West, NL
Ok, I am at a loss here. I hope someone here can help me because I have yet to find a tutorial that really helps me along. :(

So, I have a GoPro Max that I want to use for a VR intro movie. Nothing fancy, mostly me talking, but I do need to add a couple of subtitles, so it needs to be edited. Not enough to just use the GoPro software. And Final Cut Pro usually does the job for me. However, I am new to 360-degree editing, and that is proving harder than I thought.

• I have shot the video.
  • I have done a rough edit of the section I want to use in GoPro Player
  • I have exported it through the export option to be an equirectangular 5.6K movie (When I open that .mov in either VLC or GoPro Player, it is a full VR movie and I can drag the screen all around.)

Done. One movie to work within FCP.

Now, this is where it becomes complicated. I obviously create a new project for this. However, what to choose?
I can choose to make a 4K movie or to create a 360 movie, but in tutorials, I have seen both used. So, first I chose 4K and imported my equirectangular movie, and added some subtitles in two different positions. Which looks great in FCP and still is part of that equirectangular view in FCP.
When I choose a 360 video, regardless of whether I choose monoscopic or stereoscopic, does not look anything like what I would expect. When I use 360 view, it either shows that "tiny planet" view that I seem to be unable to change for anything other than zooming out further. It also seems to limit the video to only 180 degrees of the 360-degree video.

So, when I was ready to export, I exported the 4K movie to a master file. But the export was flat and no equirectangular effects in there at all. :( Which means that it is not working.
Then I exported the 360 movie to a master file, which turned out to be a very, very zoomed out tiny planet and was of no use to me what so ever...

So, any thoughts on how I can export 360 footage in a way that I can actually see it as a 360-degree movie on phones and put that on YouTube (with the spatial media metadata injection, obviously).

ghulst

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
South West, NL
Resolved by setting the new project up as a custom project with the resolution of the GoPro Max export and 360 video in monoscopic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.