Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Hey folks!

Just upgraded from iMovie to FCP and I'm trying to figure out best practices for the following task:

I conduct video interviews. My workflow is to edit the interview into one long video (60-90 minutes), and then to cut that video up by individual Q/A (creating 6-9 ten minute videos), to create clips videos.

In iMovie, I'd just duplicate the project, give it a new name, and then edit out the unnecessary parts. This workflow doesn't appear to make sense in FCP, so I'm trying to figure out how I should do it (I'm sure the information is somewhere out there...just not even sure where to look for it (and how to describe what it is I'm looking for to Google(!)))

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

~ Andrew

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
You can do the same thing with FCP, I often do when I need to breakup a too long video. You could also select the part you want for the clip, copy, and paste into a new project.

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
I do similar with some of my long clips. I'm just careful to keep all the projects within the same library to avoid needless duplication of large files across several libraries. Or, import the source clips but "leave file in place" (though you need to be careful then not to move your source files later on!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.