Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Anyone want to post up some really good webpages for fcp shortcuts or just jot down some they know?
I know a few but two I just started to use are "shift z" its takes everything in ur timeline and makes it viewable without having to scroll down. Also if you have a clip cut in diff sections if u click one clip and hold "**** delete" to get rid if it, it brings the other two clips surrounding it together so you dont have to drag them next to each other.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm loving the customizable shortcuts (under the "tools" menu). Not only can you easily view every single shortcut, but you can add your own. Because I do my editing on a powerbook, I added Shift+8, Shift+9 and Shift+0 as insert, overwrite, and superimpose, respectively. This makes my editing go a LOT faster.

I'd really like to run into (or create) a shortcut that shifts the active window between the timeline, and viewer.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
in the huge box of books that FCP come in, is a white pull out called Final Cut Pro 5 Quick reference, that contains all the short cuts you will need. :D

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
There is that book and websites, but im also talking about techniques on maybe ways to accomplish things faster than others. By the way could someone explain the overwrite, superimpose and insert menu to me better in a simple way?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Espnetboy3 said:
There is that book and websites, but im also talking about techniques on maybe ways to accomplish things faster than others. By the way could someone explain the overwrite, superimpose and insert menu to me better in a simple way?

superimpose - It will lay down the clip on a higher video track than what video is currently on in the timeline. for example, if you only have video on V1 and you superimpose a clip it will appear on V2.

Insert and overwrite work exactly like they do in a word processing program.
Lets say you have 10 seconds of video in the timeline (Clip A), and you want to add a new 5 second clip (Clip B) starting at the beginning of the timeline. If you use the overwrite command you will replace the first 5 seconds of Clip A with Clip B and you will still just have 10 seconds of video in the timeline (5 from Clip B and 5 from Clip A). If you use the insert command Clip B will make room for itself and push Clip A down 5 seconds so now you have 15 seconds of video in the timeline (5 from Clip B, 10 from Clip A).

Lethal

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Thanx man, I knew insert but I wasnt sure with superimpose. Anyone got any other shortcuts?

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Espnetboy3 said:
Thanx man, I knew insert but I wasnt sure with superimpose. Anyone got any other shortcuts?

If you are doing a lot of filters and motion animation to clips and you want to duplicate various aspects of various clips (say you wanted two clips to follow the same motion paths but at different times but have the same filters) you can Apple+C the clip with the "attributes you want" and Control+click or right click on the clips you want to adopt those attributes and choose "Paste Attributes" then check the characteristics from the clip that you want to apply to the new clip. Sounds kind of complicated but it has saved me SO much time with recent projects.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
That will def save me alot of time. What is safe rt and unlimited rt in the timeline? The differences I know it means realtime.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Espnetboy3 said:
That will def save me alot of time. What is safe rt and unlimited rt in the timeline? The differences I know it means realtime.

Unlimited RT tells your computer to display as much as it can (animations, filters, etc.) in realtime or less than realtime. Safe RT tells the computer to display only what it is able to in realtime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.