Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E39SourceRyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Hudson, Ohio
Howdy folks,

I updated Final Cut Pro X to 10.3 yesterday. For the first launch, it opened and prompted me to update the library for the new version. I hit accept, it took a few seconds, and opened as usual (with the new enhanced interface).

Now, each time I launch Final Cut, I get this screen (attached screenshot) prompting me to locate the project library, or create a new one. If I hit locate, I can browse to Movies, and then select "Projects". It then opens normally with all of my files. I never had to locate the library with previous versions, it always opened to the only library I have automatically.

I tried creating a new library, and putting some files in it, but even then, FCP opens blank and prompts me to locate a library again.

Any idea as to why I must browse and select my library during each launch now? Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 2.26.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 2.26.48 PM.png
    897.9 KB · Views: 289

computiNATEor

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2015
Orange County, CA
I posted this elsewhere for you, Ryan, but in case this helps anyone else...

I don't use FCPX at all, honestly. $300 is a lot for something I do maybe 4 times a year. But to me, It sounds like something in the FCPX preferences got corrupted. Try opening FCPX while holding down the option key; see if it lets you set or indicates a default library.

If that doesn't help, try resetting the application preferences by holding down the command and option keys while launching FCPX. That should cause a dialogue to pop up asking if you want to reset your preferences. Obviously, screenshot any custom preferences that you set.

Past that, it gets tricky. Best of luck!
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203477

E39SourceRyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Hudson, Ohio
Hi Nate, thanks for the info. I tried both things mentioned here, and neither one of them did anything what-so-ever. Maybe I will try a reinstall of the whole application next. I really feel like it's not supposed to do this, as it never did before. Something is wrong somewhere.

E39SourceRyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Hudson, Ohio
Update: I have updated to 10.3.2, and the problem persists. I created a new user account on my Mac, and set up a test project file in FCPX there. It works as designed, and opens without prompting me to browse to a library each time. So it's just in my user account... what can I do about this?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.