Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ulahoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Was wondering if anyone could share their experience with video editing on Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) on their 2017 Base 27" iMac with Radeon Pro 570. Was concerned if there would be any noticeable issues/lag with prolonged/advanced video editing on the base machine in FCPX.

I'd imagine that video editing should be pretty smooth as the Radeon Pro 570 is allegedly better than the top tier graphics card from the previous-gen 27" 5K iMac; not to mention that people are supposedly capable of 4K video editing with ease in FCPX on far weaker machines like the Macbook and Macbook Pro. FCPX is also highly MacOS optimized when compared to other professional video editing software.

I personally ordered the 2017 base 27" iMac with 512GB SSD and added 32GB of Crucial RAM (all set to come in 1.5-2 weeks). I plan to do video editing in 4K and 1080P, creating ~5-10minute long videos with a lot of video effects and add-ons from video software companies like MotionVFX and Pixel Film Studios. Obviously if money was no issue and you are a serious video editor then the top spec iMac is the best choice, but I find the base model iMac to fit the sweet spot in value for me.

Reactions: Foxglove9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.