Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
The save location dialog for the media library keeps popping up on its own all the time, basically whenever I do edits in the timeline or when switching back to Final Cut Pro from another application. (Any edits to the library or projects get saved howsoever and FCPX seems to work normally besides this very annoying dialog pop up behavior.)
Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-24 um 13.56.42.png

I am running the latest version of FCPX 10.4.6 (on High Sierra 10.13.6), though this has happened before in 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 for several months now. It's not happening on another machine of mine, also it seems to only happen in my main user account not in freshly created one.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Maybe some third party software running in the background and known to cause such issue? Any specific hint may be helpful! :)

Last edited:

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Sounds like a corrupted OS/file system that occasionally looses its way, so FCPX can't find the library (cache) to store temporary edits. The OS should resolve any access of files conflicts, this seems to be FCPX or the OS can't find the FCP cache, which is usually in the user's directory.

Given it works well on a new user account you could try to run disk utility from the recovery drive, restore the OS from your backup, or clean install the OS

Reactions: Canubis

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
The save location dialog for the media library keeps popping up on its own all the time, basically whenever I do edits in the timeline or when switching back to Final Cut Pro from another application. (Any edits to the library or projects get saved howsoever and FCPX seems to work normally besides this very annoying dialog pop up behavior.)...

That information is stored inside the library package in a file called Settings.plist. The pop-up implies one or more of locations listed there cannot be located on disk. The dialog should indicate *which* of those cannot be accessed. Take a screen capture the next time that happens.

If the above is your actual screen capture, that implies you are using only internal managed media. In that case it should never have a problem locating that.

OTOH the above dialog shows FCPX Backups as "Do Not Save". Since these take up such little space and are so valuable, it's uncommon for people to configure it that way. It's conceivably a bug in FCPX that they never thoroughly tested. I suggest setting backups to a known location and trying that.

FCPX is very sensitive to drive volume names. If your cache, backups, media or Motion content started out with one drive name, then changed to another drive name this could happen. However you should only have to enter the revised name one time. This is if using external storage locations; it should not happen if all those locations (except for backups) are inside the library.

It's interesting you report it only happens with the main user account, not in freshly created one. This could imply a permissions problem. Can you run Disk Utility First Aid on all volumes, plus inspect the permissions of the volume where the library is? Do CMD+I and see if your main account has read/write permissions on the required locations. If that drive volume was ever used for Time Machine backups, there might be a permissions problem.

All media, cache, and backup files for FCPX should only be on HFS+ or APFS volumes. They should not be on FAT, exFAT or NTFS volumes. Verify this is the case. Those can be on a NAS if properly configured but I haven't tested that. If on a NAS like Lumaforge that's specifically designed for video editing, people almost never have problems with that. If on other NAS types, they sometimes have problems.

bjluczyk

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2019
Wisconsin
I had a similar issue after recently switching from iMovie to fcpx. That dialog popped up several times a minute, making fcpx basically unusable. In my case, it seemed to be a result of using an Apple alias to reference the Movies folder on my external drive. I only have a 500Gb internal SDD, so I keep my entire Movies folder on an external HDD. I changed the Apple alias to a Unix symlink using the terminal, and the problem went away for me.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
I had a similar issue after recently switching from iMovie to fcpx. That dialog popped up several times a minute, making fcpx basically unusable. In my case, it seemed to be a result of using an Apple alias to reference the Movies folder on my external drive. I only have a 500Gb internal SDD, so I keep my entire Movies folder on an external HDD. I changed the Apple alias to a Unix symlink using the terminal, and the problem went away for me.

THIS is it! Thank you so much. You are my hero of the day!
Years ago I also exchanged the Movies folder inside my home directory with an alias pointing to a movies folder on my 2nd disk.
Now deleting this alias and letting the system replace it with a folder directly in the home folder solved the FCPX issue!

It really is a shame that Apple’s own pro software cannot handle aliases and even worse is not even able to provide helpful error messages.
Thanks again, hero! ‍

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Yeah aliasing the folder where FCP backups are stored has not been a good idea for several years now. Back in the days of expensive storage, many of us would alias our entire user folder(s). Worked great then :)

Last edited:

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Yeah aliasing the folder where FCP backups are stored has not been a good idea for several years now. Back in the days of expensive storage, many of us would alias our entire user folder(s). Worked great then :)

The "fun" part is that FCPX even showed the issue when I explicitly told it to not save any backups. Still showed this annoying dialog all the time… Either way, just happy we found the solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.