Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikep976

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Washington
Just curious, as I can't help but draw parrels to those slamming Apple Vision Pro (which I will admit AVP isn't for me but I'm still happy it's here), saying it shouldn't exist and what's the point, as well as early takes on the iPad, to current opinions of Apple Foldables.

What's with the hate? Assuming they don't stop all other phone development, you can literally not buy it, and allow those that want it, to get it.

Many of us, including myself, would welcome having an iPad mini and iPhone all in one, in our pocket, especially those that have actually used a foldable and see they're actually pretty robust and the crease fades away.

So I'll pose it, why hate and wish something would not exist that you're not even in the market for?

Attachments

• tempFileForShare_20240229-093414.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20240229-093414.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: Catasstrophy

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just curious, as I can't help but draw parrels to those slamming Apple Vision Pro (which I will admit AVP isn't for me but I'm still happy it's here), saying it shouldn't exist and what's the point, as well as early takes on the iPad, to current opinions of Apple Foldables.

What's with the hate? Assuming they don't stop all other phone development, you can literally not buy it, and allow those that want it, to get it.

Many of us, including myself, would welcome having an iPad mini and iPhone all in one, in our pocket, especially those that have actually used a foldable and see they're actually pretty robust and the crease fades away.

So I'll pose it, why hate and wish something would not exist that you're not even in the market for?
This is my view every day starting around 1 to 3am until about 7-9pm when I go to bed. Only 8 hours are for work (I work from home) but the rest are my time, give or take about 5-6 hours of driving (one car, three people needing to go three different places and then picked up later). I use my phone for actual data when out maybe for about 15-20 minutes a day.

2023-09-04 08.33.58.jpg

In light of my photo and my explanation, I really cannot stress enough how I do NOT need a foldable phone. I've worked hard to accumulate all this stuff and make sure I can be in front of it as much as I can. Having a foldable and being out means I don't get to use this stuff.

And I'd REALLY like to keep working from home!

If others want a foldable and if Apple wants one, great. My biggest thing about that is that with the current state of foldable technology, Apple is not going to release a product. If they do release one in the future, they will have perfected the device. It will be durable and won't have a crease in the middle.

Right now, that's not doable - so no Apple foldable.

Sorry, I'm just not interested in a foldable.

• Wow
Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

I think you're addressing a contingent of perennially dissatisfied people who seem to have made a cottage industry on these forums just complaining endlessly. I find it's best to just tune them out. They seem to be offended by the mere existence of Apple products they don't want. I mean, looking at that post you screenshotted, that's just straight-up unhinged.

Apple has released quite a few things I have no interest in (Apple Watch, Vision Pro, iPad Pro) but I find it easier to, you know, just not buy it? It's a trillion-dollar company, so I'm going to assume they can come up with resources to work on products I do want alongside the ones I don't want.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
OP many people just fear change unfortunately, and so just dismiss all these new devices or concepts like Vision Pro or any kind of foldable tech. Funny thing is that as soon as Apple releases their own foldable, those same people will be putting their orders in on day 1.

Reactions: JPack and max2

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OP many people just fear change unfortunately, and so just dismiss all these new devices or concepts like Vision Pro or any kind of foldable tech. Funny thing is that as soon as Apple releases their own foldable, those same people will be putting their orders in on day 1.
What you say is true, yet there are others, such as myself and @ignatius345, who just don't buy.

I don't own an Apple Watch (never wanted one), didn't buy the Vision Pro (not interested in AR/VR) and have no intent in buying a foldable.

Right now I'm typing this message in on a 2009 MacPro running Mojave. My first Intel Mac purchase was a 2006 MBP…in 2013. I don't own an M2 Mac and my youngest Mac is a Late 2009 Mac Mini running Mojave. My current primary iPhone is an 11 Pro Max.

I don't fear change, in fact change is a major part of my career choice (graphic design). But I do know what I want and don't want, as well as my tool preferences and how I use those tools. I don't begrudge the tools others have and use or how they use them. I only have an issue when the tool manufacturer arbitrarily decides that my own tool choices are no longer valid and tries to push me into new tools.

I'm all for new tools that make things better, faster and easier for me - but I should be the one that gets to decide all that.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The creases may fade away now, but eventually that screen is going to snap or bend beyond repair, and I really don’t like the idea of my +$1,000 devices becoming unrepairabale from an unavoidable innate design flaw. I’m the kind of person who tries to take care of my stuff for as long as possible, so unless it becomes possible to fuse two separated pieces of screen back together again, that doesn’t sit well with me

I also use my iPad to draw, and the last thing I want is a crease in the middle making my pen jump or become unusable due to a bump or a crease. Maybe I’m just lucky, but after a few years of iPad drawing my screen and pen are still as pristine as ever, and I would never want creases to get in the way of that. The glass probably helps with that, and as far as I know, glass doesn’t bend that well.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

TheLocNar

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
The creases may fade away now, but eventually that screen is going to snap or bend beyond repair, and I really don’t like the idea of my +$1,000 devices becoming unrepairabale from an unavoidable innate design flaw. I’m the kind of person who tries to take care of my stuff for as long as possible, so unless it becomes possible to fuse two separated pieces of screen back together again, that doesn’t sit well with me

I also use my iPad to draw, and the last thing I want is a crease in the middle making my pen jump or become unusable due to a bump or a crease. Maybe I’m just lucky, but after a few years of iPad drawing my screen and pen are still as pristine as ever, and I would never want creases to get in the way of that. The glass probably helps with that, and as far as I know, glass doesn’t bend that well.
Good thing there’s nothing anywhere about a foldable tablet. A foldable phone though? I’d welcome it. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Good thing there’s nothing anywhere about a foldable tablet. A foldable phone though? I’d welcome it. :)
But the general idea about a 'foldable phone' is that you get a phone and a TABLET in one. This is what most users around here have expressed is the reason they want a foldable. So they don't have to have a tablet AND a phone. Just carry the phone and fold it out when you need a tablet.

If you don't need a foldable to fold out as a tablet, then what is your use case for a foldable? It's kind of the whole point.

Reactions: snipr125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.