Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you want the Handoff feature to work with FaceTime and iPhone voice calls?

• Yes, I would really find it helpful and I want to see it in the public release of Yosemite and iOS 8

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Kind of helpful but the other Handoff features are more useful, so Apple can wait

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No, I have little or no use for this feature.

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Handoff is one of the best features under Continuity. Apple's OS X Yosemite website states: "Handoff works with Mail, Safari, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Maps, Messages, Reminders, Calendar, and Contacts."

However, Apple doesn't state that it works with FaceTime calls and iPhone voice calls. It would be really helpful if they can extend the Handoff feature to work with these. Having the ability to switch from a FaceTime call in progress on a Mac to an iPhone and vice-versa would be really convenient and result in a truly seamless experience.

I would appreciate if some of the developers testing the Yosemite and iOS 8 DP1 can submit a request for this feature to Apple. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I assume you mean to hand off a FaceTime call while in progress, right?

Because you can make and receive them from the Mac and iPhone already without having to hand them off.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Thats a useful one! On occasion Im on facetime from my mac, and want to show that person something I have on my mac, but the only way I could do it is if I hung up and called them back on my iphone. Handoff would be very convenient for this! I hope they add this feature

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
I assume you mean to hand off a FaceTime call while in progress, right?

Because you can make and receive them from the Mac and iPhone already without having to hand them off.

Yes, I mean for the FaceTime and phone calls in progress. I'll update my original post. Thanks for pointing it out.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
It remains to be seen what will actually work in the final release of both OS's.

At the moment, Handoff is (obviously) buggy and barely works. We'll see how it does when it reaches a level polish.

I'm often surprised how well the on stage Demos go, when the same features in the beta's provided don't work nearly as well. Clearly the demos are run on machines with much newer and purposely tweaked builds to accommodate the demo.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
It remains to be seen what will actually work in the final release of both OS's.

At the moment, Handoff is (obviously) buggy and barely works. We'll see how it does when it reaches a level polish.

I'm often surprised how well the on stage Demos go, when the same features in the beta's provided don't work nearly as well. Clearly the demos are run on machines with much newer and purposely tweaked builds to accommodate the demo.

The builds they use to demo features are usually ahead of what developers get.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Handoff is one of the best features under Continuity. Apple's OS X Yosemite website states: "Handoff works with Mail, Safari, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Maps, Messages, Reminders, Calendar, and Contacts."

However, Apple doesn't state that it works with FaceTime calls and iPhone voice calls. It would be really helpful if they can extend the Handoff feature to work with these. Having the ability to switch from a FaceTime call in progress on a Mac to an iPhone and vice-versa would be really convenient and result in a truly seamless experience.

I would appreciate if some of the developers testing the Yosemite and iOS 8 DP1 can submit a request for this feature to Apple. Thanks! :)

Considering FaceTime is based on a mixture of point to point sip protocols so it 'should' technically be possible to transfer the call to another device but I think it highly unlikely to be added to handoff regardless of any demand for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.