Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I listen using noise canceling and randomly (once every few hours of listening or so) the noise canceling stops working and they make this loud squealing feedback type sound and crackling. This lasts maybe 10-20 seconds and then the Noise canceling comes back on. After hours with apple support chat and doing things I've already done a million times they told me to make a genius bar appt. I did and apple pretty much said they couldn't replicate it in the few minutes of testing so there's nothing they could do. Any suggestions here? Of course it's not going to happen in a few minutes of testing when sometimes it doesn't happen at all for hours.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I listen using noise canceling and randomly (once every few hours of listening or so) the noise canceling stops working and they make this loud squealing feedback type sound and crackling. This lasts maybe 10-20 seconds and then the Noise canceling comes back on. After hours with apple support chat and doing things I've already done a million times they told me to make a genius bar appt. I did and apple pretty much said they couldn't replicate it in the few minutes of testing so there's nothing they could do. Any suggestions here? Of course it's not going to happen in a few minutes of testing when sometimes it doesn't happen at all for hours.
try cleaning both the case and the airpods and also the sensors (especially the mics) on the airpods and report back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.