Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Hi,

Would some kind soul please give me feedback on a photo album I've put together for my girlfirend for Christmas of here pets. This is my first foray into photography and I'd be grateful for some thoughts, specifically on whether the photos are well arranged.

I've put the whole album on my iDisk as a PDF's. My .mac username is Smileyguy. Page 2 is the cover and just continue from there. They're all on my public folder and there is no password.

You might want to reduce the docs down to 100& in Acrobat to get the best quality. By the way, these were all taken on a 3.2 megapixel camera, and one or two were cropped down to about 60% of original size. D'ya think they'll come out okay?

I realise this is a bit time consuming but I don't want to give my girlfriend a crap present. Any help/thoughts are appreciated. :cool:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
edesignuk said:
People are more likely to look the easier you make it for them ;) Direct links++ :)

Jpg's would be even better, PDF's you have to download :rolleyes:

Gosh edesignuk, I've never seen this softer side to you!
And to a newbie no less.
I'm impressed. ;)

Don't have time to check the links right now, but will try to give an opinion later this evening.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
>>>Would some kind soul please give me feedback on a photo album I've put together for my girlfirend for Christmas of here pets. This is my first foray into photography and I'd be grateful for some thoughts, specifically on whether the photos are well arranged.<<<

If she loves those pets she will love your album. Looks as if you are doing an iPhoto album. Apple does a great job on those and that gift should be a hit.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks guys. ;)

I took screenshots of the album and Panther decided to save them as PDF''s. Not sure why!

As for not putting them up, well that was just laziness! :D

Anyway, thanks for putting them and for the feedback.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Smileyguy said:
Thanks guys. ;)

I took screenshots of the album and Panther decided to save them as PDF''s. Not sure why!

As for not putting them up, well that was just laziness! :D

Anyway, thanks for putting them and for the feedback.

The pictures look nice - good job on them. Did you take them yourself, or what?

As for the PDFs - all screenshots on OS X are saved as PDF files (unless you use CTRL+the screenshot keys, in which case it is stored to the clipboard). Tp get JPGs, do to Preview and export them as JPG files.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
MacDawg said:
Sweet link emw, thanks!

You're welcome. As with many other tidbits, it's something I gleaned from other macrumors members. Just passing on the information.... :)

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Yep, I took them all!

Do you think the print quality will be okay, considering quite a few of them are cropped?

Has ayone else here had an album printed from iPhoto before and if so, what did you make of the quality?

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
maybe it's because they are in PDF format, but the photos seemed pixilated (sp?), aka the resolution looked low. but that might have just been a product of the pdf. do you know what the resolution of the pictures are?

looked cute though. good job.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Smileyguy said:
I'm pretty sure that was just the PDF thing. They're all 3.2 MP.

Probably because you took a 72 or 96 dpi image of your photo it ended up pixelated. I'm sure the images themselves are good.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Serious Question here.

As some of you might have seen there is a warning symbol on my front cover. I can't for the life of me figure out why. The picture fits fine and so does the next.

Will it be okay if I just send it off as it is? What could I do to try to get rid of it?

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Smileyguy said:
Yep, I took them all!

Do you think the print quality will be okay, considering quite a few of them are cropped?

Has ayone else here had an album printed from iPhoto before and if so, what did you make of the quality?

I've done several iPhoto albums printed by Apple and they've turned out well. The quality of the album material itself is first rate. The first album took me about a year to collect, learn Photoshop Elements, and iPhoto; the next two were thankfully much shorter.<g>

The photos can print acceptably even if iPhoto gives you the warning that something is not up to standards and may not print well. If you get that warning take a look and try to figure out what is causing it. If you didn't get any warnings the album page photos should be fine.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Smileyguy said:
Serious Question here.

As some of you might have seen there is a warning symbol on my front cover. I can't for the life of me figure out why. The picture fits fine and so does the next.

Will it be okay if I just send it off as it is? What could I do to try to get rid of it?

Try putting words in the title space next to the ! warning. It should print ok even without a title.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Just wanted to thank everyone for the great advice. The album turned out great. The quality was very good even for pictures that perhaps should have been a little 'too big' for my 3.2 MP camera.

I'm definitley getting more in the future, and am really looking forward to getting iLife '05 with the new sizes and themes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.