Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcinthebay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2017
San Francisco
I can't seem to understand what happened here:

I downloaded HotSpot Shield VPN from this website - http://downloads.techradar.com/downloads/hotspot-shield

I know I know, I probably shouldn't have done that? I didn't realize it wasn't their actual websit
i00xa89wv
e at the time.

Anyway, I opened up the installer and clicked on save file. (Please see attached photo.)

Afterwards, there was a confirmation message box that said it was successfully installed but I can't find anything anywhere. I checked applications, spotlight, search in the finder and of course desktop. Did I just dl something stupid and foreign on my computer? Any thoughts or suggestions would be highly appreciated. This frustrating.

Drats.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 11.47.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 11.47.50 AM.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 172

kcinthebay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2017
San Francisco
Drats. I did open it and saved the file to my computer. Nothing in my downloads folder and nothing on my desktop. Couldn't find anything called HotSpot Shield VPN anywhere. I thought I could trust TechRadar.com.

Do you know what a "chip-download.dmg" is? Or could it mean anything? I'm a little worried I might've downloaded some sort of spyware now.

Thank you again for replying.

kcinthebay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2017
San Francisco
download and run MalwareBytes for Mac: https://www.malwarebytes.com

Then download Hot Spot Shield from the App store

I downloaded Malawarebytes and it is on my desktop but it won't open. When I double-click it, nothing happens.

I think I def have something on my computer now. How do I get it running? Gah, this is frustrating.
[doublepost=1485551366][/doublepost]
I downloaded Malawarebytes and it is on my desktop but it won't open. When I double-click it, nothing happens.

I think I def have something on my computer now. How do I get it running? Gah, this is frustrating.

Restarted computer. Downloaded MB through Firefox and it opened finally. No threats detected.

THANKS for replying. You rock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.