Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
So the iPhone 11 Pro should have been the base iPhone as it was for years. They had a base iPhone and a plus version. But now they have a subpar phone as their base phone - iPhone 11.

iPhone 8 = $699 at launch
iPhone 11 Pro = $999 at launch

They have renamed it pro, price hiked and released a iPhone XR (S) as the base iPhone 11!

This is just a thought...

Reactions: BluefinTuna

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
what about the iPhone 11 is subpar? It will satisfy the needs of most average users. For power/pro/enthusiast users, there’s the 11 Pro.

This was, people who don’t need all the bells and whistles of the Pro don’t have to pay Pro money for one.

People thought the XR was subpar....but reality is different.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
The iPhone 11 is really not a subpar device. Honestly, compared to what device(s)? Yes the pro models have more features but that doesn’t make the 11 subpar.

I would argue the iPhone X is better than the iPhone 11 ...

Reactions: BluefinTuna

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019

In what way?

Chipset: iPhone 11
Battery life: iPhone 11
Storage: iPhone 11 has more options
Cameras: iPhone 11
Water Resist: iPhone 11

One thing the iPhone X has over the 11 is the OLED display, and even then the I don’t find the OLED to be so advantageous that it overtakes the previously mentioned advantages the 11 has.

X also has a stainless steel construction, but that’s a personal preference to some whether that’s a pro or con.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Base iPhone
  • iPhone 8 = $699
  • iPhone 11 = $699
  • Both have 326 PPI and 64GB storage
What is subpar about it?

huiAPPOAJ

Suspended
Jul 1, 2019
exactly my thoughts. the 11 even looks "cheaper" than 10 (big-ass bezel, huge aluminium edges and non-center lightning port).
It's just slightly upgraded 10r with different cutout for camera so iJeets have to buy new cases

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
exactly my thoughts. the 11 even looks "cheaper" than 10 (big-ass bezel, huge aluminium edges and non-center lightning port).
It's just slightly upgraded 10r with different cutout for camera so iJeets have to buy new cases

The 10 wasn’t the base iPhone so why are you trying to draw a comparison between the two.
Yes the 11 looks cheaper than the 10, mostly because it is.

huiAPPOAJ

Suspended
Jul 1, 2019
The 10 wasn’t the base iPhone so why are you trying to draw a comparison between the two.
Yes the 11 looks cheaper than the 10, mostly because it is.
Yes, 10 was a base model defining the next decade of iPhones, then came 10s as its successor and 10r as a cheaper model. With 10 they rised the price to $999 because it was "exclusive" model (new technology, design, 10 years anniversary etc.). Suddenly a year later the exclusive $999 price is now a base price for 10s and 10r is considered cheap.

I can totally see why Tim is removing one year old models

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Yes, 10 was a base model defining the next decade of iPhones, then came 10s as its successor and 10r as a cheaper model. With 10 they rised the price to $999 because it was "exclusive" model (new technology, design, 10 years anniversary etc.). Suddenly a year later the exclusive $999 price is now a base price for 10s and 10r is considered cheap.

I can totally see why Tim is removing one year old models

No it wasn’t. The 8 was launched the same day and was the base model. The 10r took the 8s place the following year.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
well even the 8 feels more premium than 10r

Why? 10R is more advanced in every way than the 8. It’s pretty funny, with Apple people seem to want the most “premium” phone for the lowest price without regard for specs, performance, etc. In terms of performance for price, the best value for iPhones has been in the XR/11 line

huiAPPOAJ

Suspended
Jul 1, 2019
Why? 10R is more advanced in every way than the 8. It’s pretty funny, with Apple people seem to want the most “premium” phone for the lowest price without regard for specs, performance, etc. In terms of performance for price, the best value for iPhones has been in the XR/11 line
It may be faster and have a better camera but design-wise it's far worse. Also I don't get why would they release just one size of their "base" model and two sizes of the "premium" one. The more expensive models are clearly ment to be their main "Apple standard" product and the 10r and 11 models are there just to have something cheaper (since the new base price is $999)

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
It may be faster and have a better camera but design-wise it's far worse. Also I don't get why would they release just one size of their "base" model and two sizes of the "premium" one. The more expensive models are clearly ment to be their main "Apple standard" product and the 10r and 11 models are there just to have something cheaper (since the new base price is $999)

Well, the pro models are probably considered their flagship devices rather than their main device, if by main you mean the biggest seller in the broadest market. Last year’s XR models were hugely successful. Their standard could arguably be the quality of the design, production and function rather than the materials they use in the device.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Please provide details to substantiate your claim. Its one thing to say you think the 11 is better, its quite another to check off details in support. I'm not saying I agree (or disagree), but I'd like to know why you think the 11 is inferior

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

What’s far worse about the design?

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

Like @shr631 pointed out, it appears that you’re conflating the idea of a “base” model with the idea of a “flagship” model and calling it the “main” model.

For 2019, the 11 is the “base” model. The pro versions are the “flagships”

Reactions: shr631

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Please provide details to substantiate your claim. Its one thing to say you think the 11 is better, its quite another to check off details in support. I'm not saying I agree (or disagree), but I'd like to know why you think the 11 is inferior

It cant be inferior, it comes in Green.

Reactions: maflynn

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I think people are complaining that as each year comes and goes, more advanced tech will stay the same prices, as the processes for producing that the are improved. But Apple seems to be increasing prices every year and we are not seeing that affect.

Reactions: huiAPPOAJ

syphern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008

It’s about how Apple is marketing it. In my opinion Apple shouldn’t market it as a iPhone 11. As previously iPhone 6,7,8 etc have been premium products priced $699. Now they have a pro section that should be iPhone 11!! But they label it a pro and it costs $999

The only reason they started that $999 iPhone was the iPhone X that was ment to be “future of iPhones”. But they regressed and labelled the inferior iPhone - 11. Hmm.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
So the iPhone 11 Pro should have been the base iPhone as it was for years. They had a base iPhone and a plus version. But now they have a subpar phone as their base phone - iPhone 11.

iPhone 8 = $699 at launch
iPhone 11 Pro = $999 at launch

They have renamed it pro, price hiked and released a iPhone XR (S) as the base iPhone 11!

This is just a thought...
They've been pulling your leg, you're just starting to realize it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.