Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJEmergency

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Has anyone ran into this problem and know how to solve it?

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-09%20at%2011.07.18%20AM.png

Last edited:

DJEmergency

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Fixed it. I went into terminal and put this in:

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -r -f -v -domain local -domain user -domain system

Problem solved!

Reactions: m4v3r1ck and F-bone

Tatsh

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -r -f -v -domain local -domain user -domain system

Problem solved!

Had this issue on El Capitan after upgrading.

You can run /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister so you are not specifying a version (in case Apple creates and starts using version B).

Reactions: thewroots

scottjf8

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014

You can run /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister so you are not specifying a version (in case Apple creates and starts using version B).

Doesn't work on my Retina iMac 27 with EC... I hit enter and get the options help thing, like it wants additional input.

Scotts-Retina-iMac:~ Scott$ /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister

lsregister: [OPTIONS] [ <path>... ]

[ -apps <domain>[,domain]... ]

[ -libs <domain>[,domain]... ]

[ -all <domain>[,domain]... ]

AdamUllstrom

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016

Code:

Problem solved!

That is awesome, I have had this problem for too long. It really cleaned up everything. I dont have multiple version any more.

THANKS!

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

Code:

Problem solved!

Thanks for our tip, excellent! I'm still having issues with .mp4/jpg files, mind to fix that for me to? TIA

Cheers

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
In what way are you having issues? :)

That when using "open with" some old versions will appear in the list. I have many apps of which I keep older versions as a backup strategy. Perhaps it's better to move them all to a external drive and then disconnect it from my Mac. Do you agree?

Cheers
[doublepost=1476357647][/doublepost]
That when using "open with" some old versions will appear in the list. I have many apps of which I keep older versions as a backup strategy. Perhaps it's better to move them all to a external drive and then disconnect it from my Mac. Do you agree?

Cheers

RESOLVED it with this action! Thanks.

Cheers

AdamUllstrom

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016

Cheers
[doublepost=1476357647][/doublepost]

RESOLVED it with this action! Thanks.

Cheers
Great!

I was just going to ask if you have restarted the mac. I had the same problem with a lot of backup apps in my timemachine and carbon copy cloner backup (which is alway online/ mounted to my machine.

After I ran the terminal command and restarted, it was fixed ! :)

Great everything worked out for you. :)

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

johanhenriksson

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016

This solved it for me on Sierra! Had this problem for too long. Thanks!

ChrisBiele

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010

Code:

Problem solved!

I just experienced this fetching issue on 10.11.6 El Capitan. Entering the Terminal command worked like a charm! It ran quite a few lines of code and finished after about 15-20 seconds. All good now, thanks.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA

Code:

Problem solved!

Very helpful, thanks.

dexum175

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
United States
Im on macOS Sierra(10.12.4) and this worked instantly thank you.

" /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -r -f -v -domain local -domain user -domain system "

WaltCD

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I came to this post/thread today looking for Fetching appears for a long time mac.
When I right click on a file, to open it in Photoshop, Skitch, or what have you, the "Fetching..." window appears, sometimes for many seconds before showing a list.
Running the Terminal command listed above cleared the issue, and now the list of options shows up right away!

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.