Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I’ve been enjoying 1gb symmetric fiber for a few years. Rollout has been slow but there’s progress. Some areas already have 10gb and IPv6 native support. I’m patiently waiting for these upgrades but I do see it where eventually everyone in urban area will have access to it whenever the network infrastructure is fully built. The problem is ISP has to get through the hurdles of securing permit for utility construction and figure out solutions to overloaded poles or micro trenching is not permitted in city.

Reactions: satcomer

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I’ve been enjoying 1gb symmetric fiber for a few years. Rollout has been slow but there’s progress. Some areas already have 10gb and IPv6 native support. I’m patiently waiting for these upgrades but I do see it where eventually everyone in urban area will have access to it whenever the network infrastructure is fully built. The problem is ISP has to get through the hurdles of securing permit for utility construction and figure out solutions to overloaded poles or micro trenching is not permitted in city.

Yea but like I said before while in Army the local mISP (Cox NVA) upgraded their pole to pole lines to fiber lines in 90s because it was the cheapest way to do it! It's been that was sense 90s and it was there way to offer higher 4K and higher bandwidths to customers! if they do that then why not now in your city?

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Which fiber ISP do you all think has the most users in the US ?

What about worldwide ?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Which fiber ISP do you all think has the most users in the US ?

What about worldwide ?

I don't know bout World because most fibers are in cities where some local politician got tired of his ISP speeds (dial up) was to slow in 2002 and created a local government ISP in City limits payed for byI bought was brillig because the tax payers to get Govt own fiber it town at 10 for 10mb, $20 for 20mb , $30 for 30 and u to 100 monthly for 100MB! The local ISP then upgraded his network for a lot cheaper for 50MB for $30 /month! In other words they refused to upgrade their network un til the local Govt forced to upgrade!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.