Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I've been trying to figure out an annoying battery drain issue on my wife's iPhone 7.

The battery itself is relatively healthy (>90% capacity) and isn't acting oddly. But the phone has much higher power draw than expected while asleep, and I can't seem to find a good way other than very slow trial and error to pin down what the source (or sources) might be.

I'm virtually certain it's software, because if I reboot the phone the slope of the battery discharge in the Battery Settings is very flat, and similar to my own X. But after a while, the curve gets way steeper, to the point it was losing like 5% per hour.

I've improved some of the "Death by 1000 cuts" when I figured out that a recipe app she uses was using a bunch of energy doing background app refresh, and the system-level location-based alerts accounted for another 1% an hour, give or take, but while it's improved now it's still higher than I think it should be, higher than it is right after a reboot, and there's just not much installed on the thing--the only apps she uses are that recipe app, Safari, Mail, Messages, and Podcasts.

Unfortunately, the "what's using battery" analysis in Settings only tells you what's using power while the phone is active, not when it's on standby. Is there some other means for getting that same breakdown but for standby use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.