Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Edited on 5/5/17 (updated icon image file and app description)

Hi all! This is my first post on the MacRumors forums. I just wanted to tell the community about my Mac application File Cabinet Pro. Someone read a review about the app and suggested I come here and share it with you all, so here I am. Feel free to ask questions, either here or by contacting me (Contact Page)
Below is a demo video, some screenshots, and some details about the app.

fcpmacappicon305x305.png

AppTyrantStoreButton.png

About File Cabinet Pro:
File Cabinet Pro is the file manager for the OS X menubar. Open, move, rename, compress, tag, trash, copy and paste files, all from the menu bar.

FileCabinetProSplashScreenNoIcon.png

You can open many file types natively in File Cabinet Pro or open files by launching other applications. It's easy to click into directories in icon view, drill through directories in list view, or navigate the file tree in column view.

File Cabinet Pro is also a document-based application that ships with a built-in text editor, image viewer, PDF viewer, and media player! Some of the file types File Cabinet Pro can open for editing/viewing include:

TEXT DOCUMENTS:
-Plain text files (.txt)
-Rich Text Format (.rtf)
-Rich Text Format Directory (.rtfd)
-Portable Document Format (.pdf)

IMAGE DOCUMENTS:
-Portable Network Graphics (.png)
-Joint Photographic Experts Group (.jpeg)
-Tagged Image File Format (.tiff, .tif)
-Bitmap image file (.bmp)
-Photoshop File Format (.psd) Import only.
-Scalable Vector Graphics (.svg) Import only.

VIDEO/AUDIO:
-mov
-mp4
-m4a
-m4v
-avi
-mp3
-wav
-caf
-aif

Top Features:

∙Create subdirectories in File Cabinet Pro. Organize your files the way you want.
∙Click into subdirectories and open documents! File Cabinet Pro is the must have mini file browser for your menu bar.
∙Set a "Primary" and "Secondary" directory button for the bottom bar to get an innovative drag and drop experience; drag files to these buttons in the bottom bar to bring up a popover window.
∙Innovative Drag n' Drop! You can drag files to and from iCloud by dragging files over the appropriate button to bring up a popover window.
∙Tag files! Select files in File Cabinet, right click, and then simply add or remove file tags from the control in the context menu.
∙Show in Finder! Want to see a file in Finder? Select a file and right click, then choose "Show in Finder" in the context menu.
∙Rename files.
∙Copy and paste files.
∙Trash files.
∙View items as icons, in a list, in columns, or in cover flow view.
∙Launch the application at login! You can have File Cabinet Pro automatically launch when you login to your Mac (optional feature, disabled by default).
∙Built in lightweight text editor! Create and edit .txt, .rtf, and .rtfd files!
∙Built in lightweight image viewer/editor! Rotate images, crop images, and apply filters to images!
∙Built in media player! Watch video and play audio files.
∙PDF viewer.
∙Editable files support document versions! If you made a change to a file you don't like, you can easily revert documents versions.
∙Set a Global Hotkey for showing and closing the File Cabinet window (optional feature, disabled by default).
∙Preview selected files in Quicklook by pressing the spacebar.
∙Share files in apps that support Sharing extensions like Mail and Messages.

---------------------------------

You can learn more about the app here: https://apptyrant.com/file-cabinet-pro-help/

Thanks!

Last edited:

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Hi all! This is my first post on the MacRumors forums. I just wanted to tell the community about my Mac application File Cabinet Pro. Someone read a review about the app and suggested I come here and share it with you all, so here I am. Feel free to ask questions, either here or by contacting me (Contact Page)
Below is a demo video, some screenshots, and some details about the app.

AppTyrantStoreButton.png

About File Cabinet Pro:
File Cabinet Pro is the file manager for the OS X menubar. Open, move, rename, tag, trash, copy and paste files, all from the menu bar.

FileCabinetProSplashScreenNoIcon.png

Quickly navigate to files without cluttering your desktop.You can open many file types natively in File Cabinet Pro or open files by launching other applications. Store files locally and in iCloud. It's easy to click into directories in icon view or navigate the file tree in column view. Organize your files your way.

File Cabinet Pro is also a document-based application that ships with a built-in text editor, image viewer, PDF viewer, and media player! Some of the file types File Cabinet Pro can open for editing/viewing include:

TEXT DOCUMENTS:
-Plain text files (.txt)
-Rich Text Format (.rtf)
-Rich Text Format Directory (.rtfd)
-Portable Document Format (.pdf)

IMAGE DOCUMENTS:
-Portable Network Graphics (.png)
-Joint Photographic Experts Group (.jpeg)
-Tagged Image File Format (.tiff, .tif)
-Bitmap image file (.bmp)
-Photoshop File Format (.psd) Import only.
-Scalable Vector Graphics (.svg) Import only.

VIDEO/AUDIO:
-mov
-mp4
-m4a
-m4v
-avi
-mp3
-wav
-caf
-aif

Top Features:

∙Create subdirectories in File Cabinet Pro. Organize your files the way you want.
∙Click into subdirectories and open documents! File Cabinet Pro is the must have mini file browser for your menu bar.
∙Store files locally & in iCloud! Place files in iCloud and access them from all your devices!
∙Innovative Drag n' Drop! You can drag files to and from iCloud by dragging files over the appropriate button to bring up a popover window.
∙Tag files! Select files in File Cabinet, right click, and then simply add or remove file tags from the control in the context menu.
∙Show in Finder! Want to see a file in Finder? Select a file and right click, then choose "Show in Finder" in the context menu.
∙Rename files.
∙Copy and paste files.
∙Trash files.
∙View items as icons or in columns.
∙Launch the application at login! You can have File Cabinet Pro automatically launch when you login to your Mac (optional feature, disabled by default).
∙Built in lightweight text editor! Create and edit .txt, .rtf, and .rtfd files!
∙Built in lightweight image viewer/editor! Rotate images, crop images, and apply filters to images!
∙Built in media player! Watch video and play audio files.
∙PDF viewer.
∙Editable files support document versions! If you made a change to a file you don't like, you can easily revert documents versions.
∙Set a Global Hotkey for showing and closing the File Cabinet window (optional feature, disabled by default).

---------------------------------

I should mention that there are two versions of the app. There is File Cabinet Pro (sold directly on apptyrant.com) and File Cabinet sold on the Mac App Store. The difference is that File Cabinet Pro allows you to set up a folder in iCloud Drive, but File Cabinet on the Mac App Store does not have this feature. You can learn more about the app here: https://apptyrant.com/file-cabinet-pro-help/

Thanks!
That was me that contacted you via e-mail. Thank you so much for sharing the news about File Cabinet with us.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Today I pushed out an update (version 2.5) for File Cabinet Pro. This update adds Quicklook support. When you have files selected in File Cabinet Pro, you can now press the spacebar key to view them in a Quicklook panel. This feature was requested by a File Cabinet Pro user, so here it is. I figured I'd share it with the community.

FileCabinetProQuicklookScreenshot.png

Those who got File Cabinet Pro from AppTyrant.com can update now. This feature will get pushed to the Mac App Store version; I sent an update to Apple this morning so Mac App Store folks should get it soon. Thanks all!

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro 2.6 update is out today. This update adds List View!

filecabinetprolistview.png

I also added Preferences for the Text Editor that comes with File Cabinet Pro (this was a user requested feature). Now you can have the ruler automatically be shown or hidden by default when opening RTF files. You can also have the toolbar automatically be shown or hidden by default when opening a document in the text editor.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
File Cabinet Pro 2.6 update is out today. This update adds List View!

filecabinetprolistview.png

I also added Preferences for the Text Editor that comes with File Cabinet Pro (this was a user requested feature). Now you can have the ruler automatically be shown or hidden by default when opening RTF files. You can also have the toolbar automatically be shown or hidden by default when opening a document in the text editor.
Plans for a demo? I would really like ti try this.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
I see nothing about price...lots of text but price is totally missing or is it free?????????

File Cabinet Pro is $29.99 (sold on AppTyrant.com here). There also is a "regular" version on the Mac App Store that is currently $9.99. The main difference between the two versions is that File Cabinet Pro supports setting up a 'File Cabinet' folder in iCloud. This feature is not available on the Mac App Store version.
[doublepost=1465492632][/doublepost]
Plans for a demo? I would really like ti try this.
I do plan to release a demo version, but I don't have an ETA on that at this time.

Reactions: darrylsvochak

Belgique

macrumors member
May 6, 2016
Ocala, Floridah
I await that Demo release...I and others have bought software from App store that was poorly designed and did not live up to the hype. After I Demo,,,If i like it...I will buy it.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
I await that Demo release...I and others have bought software from App store that was poorly designed and did not live up to the hype. After I Demo,,,If i like it...I will buy it.

I know exactly where you are coming from. In fact, I bought an app yesterday made by another developer and it just didn't work out.

It is an interesting idea.
I would love to try it, if a Demo version is available.

I hope to bring a demo version soon. Just been a bit tied up adding features for current users. Thank you all for your interest.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro 2.7 update is out today. This update add a search field, an 'arrange files' pull down button, and some bug fixes.

FileCabinetPro2.7UpdateScreenshot.png

filecabinetprosearchresultsscreenshot.png

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro 2.8 is out! FCP will now open alias folders directly in the window instead of opening a separate Finder window now. Several users have requested this feature.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Does it respond to key strokes and key combinations in ways that are similar to Finder?

Hi grahamperrin,

File Cabinet Pro does use some of the same key combinations as Finder.

For example:
-Command+1 switches to icon view.
-Command+2 switches to list view.
-Command+3 switches to column view.
-Command+[ is "Go Back"
-Command+] is "Go forward"

Hope this answers your question. Thanks!

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
I'll be adding support for more keyboard shortcuts. Also forgot to mention pressing the spacebar key for Quicklook is implemented. Some others are also implemented like Command+Q to quit, though naturally that isn't one to get excited about.

Thanks for the feedback!

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
FileCabinetProAppIcon.png

AppTyrantStoreButton.png

File Cabinet Pro version 2.9 is out! Added some key equivalent support as requested by @grahamperrin, some more features, and bug fixes.

Here's the rundown:

-New app icon.

-Removed ‘Local’ and ‘iCloud’ restriction when configuring Folder paths for the buttons in the bottom bar. You now can set both the ‘Primary’ and ‘Secondary’ folder locations to any directory you want.

-You can now compress files in File Cabinet Pro.

-You now can open selected files using the Command+O keyboard shortcut.

-You can now trash files using the Command+Delete Key keyboard shortcut.

-You can now make alias files (Command+L keyboard shortcut).

-You can now copy selected files using the Command+C keyboard shortcut.

-You can now paste files using the Command+V keyboard shortcut.

-You can now create a new untitled directory using Command+Shift+N keyboard shortcut.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit on 5/5/17:
The icon in this post has been replaced. Below is the new icon for File Cabinet Pro:

fcpmacappicon305x305.png

Last edited:

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
The next File Cabinet Pro update will be coming very soon. This update will introduce the sidebar :D. I'll be sure to post once it once it goes out.

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 12.59.07 PM.png

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
I just put File Cabinet Pro version 3.0 out. Here's a quick demo video of the new features. Some of the features I shown in the video were added in between 2.0 and 3.0, but since it's been awhile since I made a File Cabinet Pro video I figured that it makes sense to show them in the same video.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Just released File Cabinet Pro 3.1.

Here's what's new:
-This update adds support for Sharing extensions. Share files in File Cabinet Pro in Mail, Messages, and other apps that support Sharing extensions.
-Column widths will now be saved and restored in List View.
-Fixed bug that could sometimes prevent the context menu from showing when right clicking on an item in Column View.

FileCabinetProSecreensotShowingShareMenu.png

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro 3.3.3 update is out.

What’s New?
-You can now change the default view type on application launch in Settings.
-You can now use the Control+Command+1 keyboard shortcut to arrange files by name.
-You can now use the Control+Command+5 keyboard shortcut to arrange files by modified date.
-You can now use the Control+Command+8 keyboard shortcut to arrange files by date created.

FileCabinetProScreenshotShowingArrangeFilesPullDownButton.png

FileCabientProMacScreenshotshowingDefaultViewTypeControlInSettings.png

[doublepost=1478104801][/doublepost]You can now try File Cabinet Pro for free by downloading File Cabinet Lite on the Mac App Store. Once opening File Cabinet Lite, a 30 day trial period will start.

After the 30 day trial period has ended you can do one of the following if you want to purchase the app:

-Buy File Cabinet Pro from AppTyrant.com
or
-Unlock pro features within File Cabinet Lite via in-app purchase.
or
-Buy File Cabinet Pro on the Mac App Store

File Cabinet Lite + Pro in-App Purchase = File Cabinet Pro; it doesn't matter really which option you choose.

You can contact me here if you have any questions: https://apptyrant.com/contact/

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro 3.4 is out.

What's New:
-You can now have a Path Bar display in the window; use the Option+Command+P keyboard shortcut to toggle the Path Bar's visibility.
-Fixed issue that could cause the app to use more memory than necessary in Column view.

screenshotpathbar 2.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.