Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Horatio Groove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2024
Hi - I'm slightly at my wits end. I have a Macbook Pro M1 that's about 2 years old. When I got it, I had to do an emergency backup from my previous one that had a cracked screen while I was in the middle of a project. I immediately started getting a series of "the file cant be found" error messages and since then, I get about 30 a day, particularly when I leave my computer open. It's become like a video game - seeing how quickly I can click them all off. Some of them need to be moved before they can be shut. Other's don't!

Now I just want to get rid of them altogether. I have no idea what file the machine is looking for, or why it keeps trying. I can use console or terminal (very very basic) - can anyone help me figure out how to see what file is being looked for, and how to stop it happened by either deleting software or whatever else?

Many thanks in advance and apologies if I have broken any protocols on here.

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
What OS are you running? I remember this issue on early versions of Ventura but I believe it was eventually fixed through one of the OS updates.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
What OS are you running? I remember this issue on early versions of Ventura but I believe it was eventually fixed through one of the OS updates.
Its still there. I get theses spurious error messages occasionally on a fully updated (as of 2024-03-08) Ventura. It seems to be a timing issue where Finder lets you select a file before some behind the scenes component of Finder has finished enumerating the files. It never happens when I work slowly. Ventura's Finder is rather buggy.

Reactions: rovostrov

Horatio Groove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2024
Thanks everyone. Currently running Ventura 13. Screenshot attached! 2 just came up while I was typing so they are fresh.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 15.14.04.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 15.14.04.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 17
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.