Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fessen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
I have an iPad Mini 2 running iOS 12.5.1 and a MacBook Pro running El Capitan.
I want to be able to transfer pdf & ebook files directly between the devices ideally using a USB cable and not uploading to cloud storage or dealing with iTunes. Are there any good third-party solutions?

I also want to be able to explore my entire file system on the iPad. When I look in the "Browse" folder under "Locations," all I can see is iCloud Drive; On My iPad, which has only a single folder for Firefox; and Recently Deleted. I tried running iTools Pro in trial mode, and it says it transferred a pdf file for me from the MBP to the iPad, but I can't see it/find it on the iPad.

Is there a built-in equivalent of Mac's Finder in iOS 12 for iPad? If not, is there a third-party app? I seem to recall being able to do this on Android devices.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The iOS file setup is totally different from Android. It's based on a sandbox approach with files (data) mainly existing within the context of applications and they are not universally accessible. You can use the Files app and other 3rd party file managers (I use FileBrowser) for some degree of file management and broader access.

fessen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
The iOS file setup is totally different from Android. It's based on a sandbox approach with files (data) mainly existing within the context of applications and they are not universally accessible. You can use the Files app and other 3rd party file managers (I use FileBrowser) for some degree of file management and broader access.
Well that's a bummer.

fessen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
You cannot explore the iOS file system unless you jailbreak (which is possible with an iPad Mini 2 on iOS 12.5.1) and then install the proper tweak(s)/app(s).
I suppose I shall look into jailbreaking. Thx.

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
I’ve been using an iPad app for cycling on my turbo trainer. The video files can either be streamed or download to the iPad. Sometimes the streaming gets a bit stuttery, and the video files are multiple Gb in size so storage on the iPad is limited to a few rides. There’s a suggestion to download the files to a NAS and stream to the iPad but I don’t have a NAS.
If I download a ride using the app then the video file is stored within the app and is not visible using the native iPad files app. I downloaded the iMazing app and discovered that the video folder within the ride app is now visible, and I can download ride video files to my Mac Mini and copy them over to the ride app folder.
Tha iMazing app is excellent, but a bit expensive for my occasional single file transfer use. It would be ideal if the native files app were a bit more comprehensive.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’ve been using an iPad app for cycling on my turbo trainer. The video files can either be streamed or download to the iPad. Sometimes the streaming gets a bit stuttery, and the video files are multiple Gb in size so storage on the iPad is limited to a few rides. There’s a suggestion to download the files to a NAS and stream to the iPad but I don’t have a NAS.
If I download a ride using the app then the video file is stored within the app and is not visible using the native iPad files app. I downloaded the iMazing app and discovered that the video folder within the ride app is now visible, and I can download ride video files to my Mac Mini and copy them over to the ride app folder.
Tha iMazing app is excellent, but a bit expensive for my occasional single file transfer use. It would be ideal if the native files app were a bit more comprehensive.

Do you need the paid version of iMazing?

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
the Files app is the ios equivalent to the macOS Finder on your Mac Book Pro.

ck to see if your existing verision of iOS 12.5.1 has the built in application "Files". If not can you upgrade to a version of ios that has the "Files" app?

the MBP and the iPad Mini 2 must be on the same network. Probably are if both are connected to the same wifi. determine the ip address of the MBP

enable file sharing on the MBP. In Files goto top right corner see an icon a circle w/ 3 dots. tap and see Connect to Server. Type in the ip address of your MBP. Now you should be able to see your MBP shared diretory(s) form the ios device.

search the mighty mac rumors, i think i posted more on this a couple of times.

If you dont have a Finder app and cant update your ios there might be some 3rd party apps that work goor or better than Finder. I use FE File Explorer. There is another alternative that is newer than what I use.

this really works. No extra USB cables or iTunes.
you can move copy rename etc

Last edited:

4bs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2020
I want to be able to transfer pdf & ebook files directly between the devices ideally using a USB cable and not uploading to cloud storage or dealing with iTunes. Are there any good third-party solutions?

I also want to be able to explore my entire file system on the iPad. When I look in the "Browse" folder under "Locations," all I can see is iCloud Drive; On My iPad, which has only a single folder for Firefox; and Recently Deleted. I tried running iTools Pro in trial mode, and it says it transferred a pdf file for me from the MBP to the iPad, but I can't see it/find it on the iPad.

Is there a built-in equivalent of Mac's Finder in iOS 12 for iPad? If not, is there a third-party app? I seem to recall being able to do this on Android devices.
Waltr Pro by Softorino- is able to transfer any file to ios. it is claimed.

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
Do you need the paid version of iMazing?
In lockdown my wife and I each have about five sessions a week on the turbo. If I move the ride files to and from the iPad each time then we’ll soon come up against the 100 file limit on the trial. We like the variety of rides available and tend not to ride the same virtual route more than once.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
In lockdown my wife and I each have about five sessions a week on the turbo. If I move the ride files to and from the iPad each time then we’ll soon come up against the 100 file limit on the trial. We like the variety of rides available and tend not to ride the same virtual route more than once.

Got it. And you're right - it is pricey.

Reactions: Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
Waltr Pro by Softorino- is able to transfer any file to ios. it is claimed.
Thanks for the suggestion, I just downloaded and tried it on the iPad but it doesn't seem to function in any useful way.

4bs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2020
yeah, that’s what I found when I tried it, wondered if it was just me not understanding how it works. however the developers (ex apple employees) claim to be simplifying the app to make it more intuitive.

Reactions: Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
I use FileBrowser for all of my iOS <-> PC transfers and for working with attached storage. I use the Business version for its synch capabilities.

https://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowser/

I swear by it - it's rock solid.
Looks an excellent app, it saw my Mac Mini and MacBook Air straight away and I could navigate to the files on there. I could copy an MP4 file from the Mini or the Air but it cant see the FulGaz app ( the App in question) or the folders within the App on the iPad so I can paste the file into the folder containing the ride videos or anywhere else within the FulGaz App.

If I connect my iPad to my Air by cable then I can use Finder to navigate to the FulGaz App and see the file structure, I cannot however paste any files into the folder containing the ride videos.

If I open the iMazing App on my Air then I can see a sidebar with all the iPad apps including FulGaz. If I select FulGaz then I can see the complete file and folder structure within the App and then drag and drop a video file from the MacBook and it transfers seamlessly into the rides folder.
Sorry if I'm not explaining myself clearly or am missing something obvious in the FileBrowser app you linked to.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Looks an excellent app, it saw my Mac Mini and MacBook Air straight away and I could navigate to the files on there. I could copy an MP4 file from the Mini or the Air but it cant see the FulGaz app ( the App in question) or the folders within the App on the iPad so I can paste the file into the folder containing the ride videos or anywhere else within the FulGaz App.

If I connect my iPad to my Air by cable then I can use Finder to navigate to the FulGaz App and see the file structure, I cannot however paste any files into the folder containing the ride videos.

If I open the iMazing App on my Air then I can see a sidebar with all the iPad apps including FulGaz. If I select FulGaz then I can see the complete file and folder structure within the App and then drag and drop a video file from the MacBook and it transfers seamlessly into the rides folder.
Sorry if I'm not explaining myself clearly or am missing something obvious in the FileBrowser app you linked to.

This stuff tends to be a bit thick and never at all obvious. It sounds like the FulGaz developer has chosen to restrict access to the app's data, either by design or by default to iOS's data protection scheme; i.e., the developer has to make a conscious decision to expose the data within his app otherwise it is not available.

I'll look into it some more - give me a bit of time. The app actually looks interesting to me - I used to be a hard-core rider and would try to get 20+ miles in every morning and a 100+ mile ride in every weekend. But I'm almost 70 now, and my body is showing the strains of too many long bike rides, running ultramarathons, and long mountaineering trips. But I do have a Spinner bike at home and I like the looks of this app.

To understand what you want to do - you have your own video on the Mac, an MP4 file, that you want to be able to use with FulGaz on your iPad. You can do it with iMazing but nothing else - correct?

Rare455

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
Chicago, IL

Hi there, I'm Josh, the guy behind WALTR for Mac, that was kindly recommended by others here.

I just wanted to clarify that you can actually transfer PDFs and ePub books to your iPad mini with WALTR. And very easily. We made a video that shows how to get PDF to iPad:

As for the WALTR PRO that was mentioned, it's a more advanced version. We're about to release it but right now, it's not yet available for download. It will provide more file transfer freedom, and you'll be able to transfer comics, photos and much more. Without iCloud.

iMazing is also a good option. We know those guys, they provide a "Swiss knife" iOS manager.

I recommend trying out both on the trial and see if it delivers what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pow!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.