Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmax889

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2023
I have been having an issue where i am unable to connect to my external hard drives that are attached to my Mac Mini via my MacBook pro over local network.

I have tried removing "com.apple.finder.plist" on both machines with no luck.

I have tried rebooting Finder again no luck. I am still unable to connect to the external drives and get the error “File or Document” Can’t Be Opened Because The Original "x" Item Can’t Be Found.

I can connect to the internal man os drive with no issues. Oh I'm trying to connect via Finder so that i can move and swap files between the drives without having too use the main TV (which its connected to).

I am able to screen share into the Mac Mini with no issues at all and then move the files that way. I would rather do it via Finder directly on my MacBook.

I have checked the permissions for the external drives when right clicking on the drive and selecting info it doesn't show the normal items ie admin. my account and so forth it just shows "you have custom access" and its not changeable.

Current Details of each machine;

Macbook Pro 16" M1 Pro
MacOs Ventura 13.2.1

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
MacOs Monterey 12.6.5

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

madmax889

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2023
MacOs Ventura 13.2.1 had issues. 13.3 seems better.
I have updated my MacBook pro to 13.3 but i can't on the Mac Mini as it's not compatible. Would just prefer to use the Finder to sort out the hard drive files via my MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.