Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Prior to Yosemite, Finder showed the complete path of a file in the info window (e.g. /Applications/Utilities). Yosemite replaced that with a more descriptive path (see image) which I cannot (meaningfully) copy anymore. Is there another quick method to view or copy a file’s path?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 07.35.18.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 07.35.18.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
Prior to Yosemite, Finder showed the complete path of a file in the info window (e.g. /Applications/Utilities). Yosemite replaced that with a more descriptive path (see image) which I cannot (meaningfully) copy anymore. Is there another quick method to view or copy a file’s path?

In the Yosemite Finder window... (is this what you mean?)

Attachments

• Hierarchy.jpg
    Hierarchy.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 548

KALLT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
In the Yosemite Finder window... (is this what you mean?)

Nope, I mean the Info window as pictured in my initial post. Before Yosemite, that highlighted section in the Info window would show up like this: ‘Where: /Applications/Utilities’. This could be copied very easily.

I appreciate all the comments. The Terminal is definitely a quick solution, but I don’t want to run it all the time.

However, I just discovered a solution that works for me. With the Automator app, I created a new service. I configured it as shown in the attached picture and called it ‘Copy File Path’. After saving it, I went to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts and enabled that new service. I added my own shortcut for it. This basically just copies the file path directly to the clipboard (not the file itself).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 23.45.08.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 23.45.08.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 453
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 23.46.55.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 23.46.55.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 464
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 23.47.36.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 23.47.36.png
    209.7 KB · Views: 504

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Nice solution! Care to make a screen shot of how you made that Automator action? How does one add it to the contextual menu?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Nice solution! Care to make a screen shot of how you made that Automator action? How does one add it to the contextual menu?

I’ve attached my workflow. It should install itself like a Safari extension, i.e. just double-click on it after you’ve unzipped it. Once that is done, you can find it here: /Users/[user]/Library/Services.

To use it as a right-click service: go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, select the ‘Services’ menu and look for the workflow ‘Copy File Path’. You can enable it there and add a keyboard shortcut as well, if you want.

Let me know whether this works! If your system language is different, I think you can rename the workflow file before you install it to something else as well.

Attachments

• Copy File Path.zip
    23.9 KB · Views: 371

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Haha yeah, sorry about that. The picts didn't load properly until now. Thanks a lot for the explanation, shots and file, really helpful! I'll try it once I get home.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I’ve attached my workflow. It should install itself like a Safari extension, i.e. just double-click on it after you’ve unzipped it. Once that is done, you can find it here: /Users/[user]/Library/Services.

To use it as a right-click service: go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, select the ‘Services’ menu and look for the workflow ‘Copy File Path’. You can enable it there and add a keyboard shortcut as well, if you want.

Let me know whether this works! If your system language is different, I think you can rename the workflow file before you install it to something else as well.

BRILLIANT! Click-to-install and does just what it says......many thanks :cool:

robertoandrade

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015

KALLT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Yosemite 10.10.3 has a fix for it :)

Apparently if you upgrade to the beta of 10.10.3 (https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/) you can get the "fix" for this.

They now still render it the same way but when you copy and paste it somewhere else, it will render the pasted data with slashes instead of the arrows :)

It really was a major annoyance to me and a lot of other users :) i.e.: http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2d8jij/yosemite_irritation_1_file_info_uses_arrows/

Sorry for my late response, I overlooked it. Yes, you're right! I hadn't noticed the change. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.