Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2021
Hello everyone!

Days ago I started a thread to think which MacBook I should buy. I'm the middle of my PhD and I wanted to replace my 2013 MBA for a M1 MacBook. Nonetheless, the prices are high and I would have to buy even more docks and adapters because the newer models are basically port-less for what I do and what I have at home. I don't like USB-C charging, and I think my MBA can still handle some work.

So I begun searching for an alternative, the M1 Mac Mini (adapters would be needed, anyway), plugged in with an external monitor which I already have.
Is it possible to work with the same desk between the 2013 MBA (OS Big Sur) and M1 Mini (with the fresh new OS) with File Sharing? Would apps (like MS Office) run with no issues with this experience? Would you recommend this type of workflow for my case? Basically, is feasible having two distinct Macs and one only working desktop?

I don't need to view and edit all my files in the MBA, just the most important ones.

Thank you.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Just to clarify... Which are you trying to do:

1. Have Microsoft Office installed on your MacBook Air and launch and run the Microsoft Office apps on your Mac mini?

or

2. Have Microsoft Office installed on both computers and edit documents stored on your MacBook Air on your Mac mini and vice versa?

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Ok. So using 2 macs, with different OS, is feasible for this case?

It will work.

For example, I have an old laptop running macOS Mojave and my desktop is running macOS Monterey. If I have a Microsoft Word docx document saved on the laptop, I can edit the file on either computer as long as the versions of Microsoft Word installed on both computers are file compatible.

Reactions: RaphaZ

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2021
It will work.

For example, I have an old laptop running macOS Mojave and my desktop is running macOS Monterey. If I have a Microsoft Word docx document saved on the laptop, I can edit the file on either computer as long as the versions of Microsoft Word installed on both computers are file compatible.
Thanks! It was very helpful!

Reactions: pastrychef
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.