Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frank O

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Any suggestions on a reasonably secure (and fairly easy to set up) way to share files between a Mac running Ventura and an Ubuntu system on the same local network?

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
Depending on how big and how many files, you could use Snapdrop. As the name implies, it's like AirDrop but you can use it anywhere

Frank O

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Depending on how big and how many files, you could use Snapdrop. As the name implies, it's like AirDrop but you can use it anywhere

Looks handy, but I tried it with several devices (iPhone in addition to Mac and Ubuntu), and none of them are seeing each other when they are connected via a browser to snapdrop.net. They're all on different VPNs, though. Normally devices on my local net don't seem to care if they're on VPNs or not.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I'm not very intimate with the security aspects of Samba on Ubuntu, though it is an industry standard, and should be relatively safe. I also suspect that the File Sharing feature on Mac is basically just setting up Samba (or something very similar) on the Mac, because smb: is the standard protocol for accessing Mac shares.

If you use the Mac the most, I'd set up file sharing on the Mac, and then just access the share from the Ubuntu box when needed.

Edit: There should be something called Samba Client or similar for Ubuntu, which helps accessing the Mac share.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Thanks. Being that I use the Mac much than the Ubuntu box, which of those approaches would be intrinsically more secure for the Mac? Putting Samba on the Ubuntu box?
Unless you intend to file share across the public internet, either should be secure enough for local LAN use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.