Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spence9855

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2022
Hello I’m new to the forum. Hopefully this hasn’t already been resolved couldn’t find any post in relation.

I have set up a file share consisting of two folders. I have created two share only accounts, with intention for each to have access to their own folder. I wanted to set permissions so each user cannot access the others folder. I added the share only accounts to their own folder with full control and changed everyone group permission to no access.

When I connect to the share through iOS, both folders can still be accessed with full control for each user. There doesn’t seem to be a option to give each user no access on others folder. Only the everyone group has this option, however regardless of what setting:no access or write only (Dropbox) still allows full control of all the folders from each user, as if the permissions set are non existent for any of the folders.

After this I thought maybe the actually ‘owner’ of the folder had some over riding effect on the share permissions. So I decided to create a new folder from each iOS device logging into their own share user account. Intending that these new folders would be owned by the share accounts and not the standard user account used on the Mac. So each share user account owned their own share folder. Unfortunately I still encountering same issue, each share user account still has full control of each other’s folder…..

Hopefully this makes sense to everyone. I am not a experienced MacOS user so don’t shoot me down, may have overlooked something simple.

Could some please advise me what I can do to get this working correctly.

Thanks ??

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
I’m afraid I don’t understand exactly how you‘ve set up what you describe. For example, if you create a user to get a network share for this user, why (and how) did you change any access rights? This shouldn’t be necessary, as each user can access their own user folder, but not that of other users.

I think it would be helpful if you could describe step by step what you did and how (eg. in the system preferences or in the terminal?).

marklemac

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Southampton, UK.
Spence, did you solve this.

I'm having the same issues as you. Each 'sharing user' can see everything that is 'shared' even though in the sharing window "Everyone" is no access. Folders and contents can still be seen. I've tried every combination I can think of, but can't seem to restrict specific folders to certain users only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.