Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bangdigital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I have a late 2008 iMac and a late 2009 MBP.

I am a MobileMe member.

Since upgrading to Lion Screen Sharing between them works normally, but I can't connect for file sharing between the two machines.

Same result when both on the same WiFi network, and when on different WiFi networks.

Anybody any thoughts on why this would happen? (And how I can fix it?)

maviso5

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Kent
I have the same thing, i Can screen share my Mac but not file share, tried connect as... and put in my credentials but "failed"

Anyone else?

Sykotic

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
I'm having issues, too. I have a 2010 Mac Mini and did the Lion upgrade yesterday. Now neither of my WD TV Live boxes can see the Drobo shared through the Mac Mini anymore.

My HTPC running Windows 7 isn't having any issues. But I can't even see the Drobo share through the virtual Windows 7 I'm running through VM Ware Fusion on the Mac Mini itself.

maviso5

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Kent
hmm can't even seem to do either screenshare or file share now! can go in as guest and do a few bits....

this is cr*p!

bangdigital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Just to clarify my OP.

I can see the machines in the Shared devices part of finder.

And I can Screen share. Just can't actually access the folders. Just comes up as connection failed.

Doesn't even work when I use my Mobile Me address - so essentially Back to my Mac doesn't work with Lion.

dsbnz

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
New Zealand
Try switching off "Share files and folders using AFP" in System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing -> Options.

I had both AFP & SMB enabled and lost ability to connect to shares, except via guest access. After switching off AFP (leaving SMB enabled), problem seems to be gone. Bizarre !

cjedj

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Try switching off "Share files and folders using AFP" in System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing -> Options.

I had both AFP & SMB enabled and lost ability to connect to shares, except via guest access. After switching off AFP (leaving SMB enabled), problem seems to be gone. Bizarre !

This worked for me as well. Weird, and not very reassuring.

maviso5

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Kent
That worked for me too!

Also turning off remote management for me and just turning on screensharing got that back too.

Bit odd but at least I can work again now.

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
Turning off AFP worked for me. I wasn't even using SMB before (it wasn't checked) so don't know what's up with AFP....but this fix worked and I'm back to sharing files.

Thanks!!!!!!!

bangdigital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the tip.

Yes, turning off AFP allows me to fileshare again using a user account and MobileMe address.

Many thanks.

Let's hope Apple solve whatever the problem is with AFP in time for the next update.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Can't fileshare here either unless AFP off and SMB on. Totally unable to file share using MobileMe login. Paid membership with new airport extreme so Back to My Mac is supposed to work. MobileMe can't die a fast enough death as far as I'm concerned.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Filesharing works with AFP!

had to remove any Home folder from being shared and now AFP works again. Screen sharing alone works too and don't have to have Remote Management on!

mdynarski

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
turning of AFP worked, unsharing home folder did not

Turning off AFP worked; I was trying to transfer files between a MBP and a Mini. Needed to do it on both machines.

This problem is really an odd one for a new operating system.

Still haven't gotten Airdrop to see files. And the machines are on the same home wireless. Ah, the bleeding edge of a 1.0 OS.

M

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
The issue is solved by unsharing your home folder. You should not have to turn AFP off.

Your home folder is automatically shared in OSX Lion, but is only accessible when you connect as the user who owns the home folder.

More details here: http://ryanarmstrong.net.au/blog/mac-osx-lion-file-sharing-connection-failed.html

That's the better solution. Worked for me too. Just remove your home directory from the list under Shared Folders in System Preferences>Sharing>File Sharing. No need to disable AFP.

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
Did not work for me.

I was able to connect my MBP when on my iMac, but was not able to connect my iMac when on my MBP. Tried resetting passwords, different accounts, etc. Nada.

Went back to SMB and all works perfectly.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Same problem here. I can’t share from Lion Air (10.7.1) to my Leopard Mac. I can Screen Share though.

Turning AFP off and SMB on did not work. (In fact, Leopard won’t even TRY to connect then—it says Connection Failed and the option to Connect As is ghosted out. At least with AFP on I can Connect As, but is stays at Connecting... forever.)

No home folders were in my Lion Shared Folders. (This was migrated from my old Snow Leopard Air.)

Sneakernet time?

EDIT: Here’s some craziness: it worked when I tried my long name (first and last) instead of my short account name! AFP on, SMB off.

Weird, but I seem to be in business :)

Last edited:

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
EDIT: Here’s some craziness: it worked when I tried my long name (first and last) instead of my short account name! AFP on, SMB off.

Weird, but I seem to be in business :)

ditto, with the edit. trying to connect to a Lion mac (10.7.2) from a Mac running 10.6.8. On the Lion Mac I tried removing the home folders, and tried toggling AFP off & on, and made sure SMB was not also on (I'm aware of problems with SMB on Lion). I did not (for that reason) try SMB on and AFP off. Nothing worked. But using my long name did. Hopefully that will be fixed???

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
:confused:I have a related but slightly different issue with file sharing, running Sl on a MBP and Lion on a Mac mini base model. Same situation on both machines.
The file sharing button in System Preferences/Sharing cannot be set - I can highlight it but it stays as is, with no check mark, no matter how many times you click on it.
However, even in this state, I can access this SL system and the whole HD from the Mac mini, and vice versa, so obviously file sharing is on!
When I enable SMB in the Options either, the File Sharing button gets a check mark enabled! Which is :cool: But this file sharing issue, not really a problem as file sharing does work even if the box is not checked, is rather inexplicable. Must be a bug in both SL and Lion :eek:
And I don't see the Home folder included as a default in Lion as mentioned above, but rather the public folder (which is in the Home folder). So that solution doesn't work for me.

Brentano

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
I didn't have to turn off AFP

Same problem here: Screen sharing was fine, but no volumes in file sharing and "Connect As..." didn't do anything.

I have so many volumes attached and shared, and so many different user accounts, it was taking forever to try to get afp disabled everywhere.

Instead, I tried Go:Connect to Server (⌘K) from the Finder and typed the machine's local ip under smb (smb://10.0.1.#) to get there and it worked.

ratsandwich

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
System Preferences > Users & Groups, then check only "Allow guest users to connect to shared folders" box.

SMB Anonymous login will work from clients. Reenable AFP and Remote Management if you need to.

Credit for this.

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 3.45.45 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.